Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
243 Posts
If you just can't do both ends at once, go with the shock and adjust it (compression and rebound ) to match the forks lesser performance until you do get them done.

· Registered
243 Posts
I can open forks and easily go to heavier fork oil to get more compression damping. I can't do that with the shock so easily and the stock shock on the FZ/MT is no where near as good as the stock GSXR shock.

· Registered
243 Posts
Point taken. Thanks for this. I'm not afraid of hard-late braking and have been trail braking since the first bend. My forks (probably untouched OE) are way under-sprung for my weight. I am right at the bottom of the stroke during hard braking in spite of using all available preload and having the forks set up by a pro at the track. I know I could trail deeper & carry more corner speed but the front is not confidence inspiring. Even with the suspension being what it is at the end of last season I was faster and more consistent than 98% of riders in the C group. I can't wait to get back out there!!
If at all possible and do both ends. I spent half of what I purchased my bike for on suspension. It was worth every stinking penny!

· Registered
243 Posts
That's exactly why I said to do the shock first. Just spend some time getting the shock in balance with the forks and then again after you gets the forks revalved.
It's easier to improve when both ends of the bike handle bumps and dips the same. Once I have it close I then use the tire wear to adjust in the rebound settings.
I look forward to your future post raving about the new handling ability on your bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts