Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knowing what you know now, from experience, what would You buy for your 09....???

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had a corbin saddle on my first bike, and it set the bar pretty high. I could ride for days without any issues at all on it.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Reactions: FZjohn

·
Registered
260 Posts
Had a Corbin on my old Bandit. Corbin was better than stock.
Laam seat on the FZ09. Have had the seat for a few months now. Rode 165 miles on Saturday. Seat on the FZ09 is something I gave up thinking about a few months ago. After Saturday's ride, I had to force myself to remember how bad the stock seat was.
Too bad you don't live closer, you could borrow my seat for an afternoon.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Had a Corbin on my old Bandit. Corbin was better than stock.
Laam seat on the FZ09. Have had the seat for a few months now. Rode 165 miles on Saturday. Seat on the FZ09 is something I gave up thinking about a few months ago. After Saturday's ride, I had to force myself to remember how bad the stock seat was.
Too bad you don't live closer, you could borrow my seat for an afternoon.
I think Laam is still located in Redding, CA...it's about 2.5 hours from my house. Can I ride up there and get the bobZ special? Did you give him any dimensions or recommendations or did you send him the seat let him work his magic? Any pics of the seat? I believe another member got one of his seats on here...

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
I tried a frequently mentioned aftermarket seat and when that didn't work for me, I took mine to a local upholstery shop
and went with something like the Street Rally seat. It works for me.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think Laam is still located in Redding, CA...it's about 2.5 hours from my house. Can I ride up there and get the bobZ special? Did you give him any dimensions or recommendations or did you send him the seat let him work his magic? Any pics of the seat? I believe another member got one of his seats on here...
DTM,
Seth will interview you and get your weight / inseam dimension among other questions.
I provided pictures and answers back in August which can be found on this page in this post: http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/368-seat-options-19.html

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does he require a :pottytrain2:photo....???

I've gotta draw the line somewhere, ya know :cool:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Knowing what you know now, from experience, what would You buy for your 09....???

The Corbin on my RK is great, goes and goes with no issues. The Seat Concepts on my WRR250 is OK but I'm standing on the pegs so much it's hard to know if it would be good for the FZ. I'm going to pull this trigger soon, so I hope there are some great responses to your query! If I had to buy today, I'd probably get a Corbin but...they are pricey and the FZ is not a RK!

thx.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm in the process of evaluating the Sargent, very neutral, and the SC seat. I did the self install of the SC, so I could rip the cover off and re-work the foam as necessary. While the price of the Sargent was high, the quality is great, and the neutral feel of the seat is quite nice. Not cushy, but rather practical and almost "not there". It doesn't annoy you with it's presence. "Hey I'm your new seat". Seriously, anything that keeps reminding me of its presence is more annoying than helpful. Still evaluating the SC, but it requires shimming of the seat and more riding. Cheers, G.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just my 2 cents here on seats. I've had Corbin seats in the past and disliked them...a lot. Waaaay too stiff for me. I don't think I would call myself thin anymore but I don't have a lot of padding in my pants, so to speak. Maybe that's why Corbin seats aren't right for me. Yamaha sells a "comfort Seat" for the FJR1300 and after buying one and using it for a few weeks I realized it was made by Corbin. If it isn't them Corbin should sue Yamaha for patent infringement because it has the same stiff material and very firm padding that spells HARD for me. Corbin has always received complaints about their hard seats but they are on record saying they make what they make and they aren't going to change.

If you have a Corbin and like it, I'm happy for you. However for many riders it just doesn't fit. YMMV

·
Registered
962 Posts
Love my Corbin Gunfighter and Lady. The Seargent is really nice too - but for a passenger the Corbin is better. SC is better than stock, except the passenger area seems the same - and it isn't as nice for the rider as the Corbin and Seargent.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Does Everyone get the standard color for the seat... some variation of blk? The Corbin outfit offers lots of colors, textures and materials... even combinations. Maybe a dark brwn leather or a gray leather?

Then there's the material, smooth, textured or grabby? Seems like this moto seat needs to be smooth if moving around in the twisties is important?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I just put in for the Sargent tonight. Passenger room is no issue for me as I have another bike for that. Can't wait to break it in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guys, has anyone had any luck contacting Laam seats in Redding CA? I've called three times, left messages and sent two emails. No response at all. I guess I'll try another vendor. The Shad seat looks pretty nice. I've owned 2 Corbin seats and never been satisfied with them.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Call me cheap if you want, but I just don't see the point in spending +$300 for a second seat and have the stock seat collecting dust.

If I were to change the seat then it would be a Seat Concepts cover and foam kit, our take it to a local seat upholstery shop.

Seat Concepts - Products

Better yet I would try Mcmann's seat fix first.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/1575-seat-mod-reduce-forward-slope.html

Maybe it's because I am use to the concrete block seat on my DR650SE, but I have no issues with the stock seat on the 09 so far.

p.s. - passanger? what stinking passanger???

1 - 20 of 26 Posts