Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I ride the 09 pretty much every day to work. I'm in the military and have to show my ID to the gate guard upon base entry. I'm looking for a solution to have quick access to the card to speed entry and prevent traffic backup (bad gate design leaves only about 30m between the gate and main road, backing cars up across the intersection quickly). Here're the kickers: I can't attach anything to the card itself (no velcro, clips, etc.), I have to show the bare card to the guard (not in a holder/case) and I would like to be able to do this without taking my gloves off. I typically wear a backpack, so there may be a solution that I can hook onto a strap, but I need to be able to use it without the pack also. I curently keep the card in my Icon vest storage pocket, but the pulls are so small and the pocket so large (compared to the card size) that I have to take my gloves off to get to it, greatly slowing entry speed.

Any ideas/recommendations?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Been there, done that... A small soft cell phone case works well. Get one with a sewn on belt loop and use a couple of zip ties to make sure it stays on (I don't trust the velcro). Secure, easy to get the id in and out wearing gloves...
20140122_211334.jpg 1982 attached to 1st Cav.jpg

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
fz-ezpassholder.jpg Maybe this could help? I use a ipod/smartphone armband to hold my ez-pass. I had been using the "keep-in-pocket" method but most tolls could not read the pass so have to go back to this. It's a easy set up, cheap ($3-5 from a 99 cents store) and is easy to remove- just strap it around the handlebar and you are good to go. I think it should fit your id- get one with a velcro tab with a pull- or sew one quickly- and it should be easy to pull out the ID as well (if they really want you to take it out physically and show despite it being right in front).

·
Registered
365 Posts
I ride everyday to work also (pending weather) and this works great. its a lanyard I wear under my jacket, twic 2.jpg pull zipper down a bit remove id from clear case and put back all with gloves on and its hassle free

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All,

Thanks for the ideas. They spurred several other ideas to get this issue solved. I do have to completely remove the ID card every time and I'm currently wearing heavy winter gloves for riding. However, I think there are at least two or three ideas here that will work well.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
207 Posts
I also ran into that issue some years ago.
My fix was:
Craft store
Sheet magnet that is flexible and can be trimmed with scissors.
Some of these sheet magnets are peel and stick (on one side)... I used a hot glue gun to fix it to the back of my id badge holder.
Inserted my badge into the holder with the magnet attached. Then slap it to the top of the tank for easy access.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts