Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to try some Icon products... and thought I'd share some thoughts on the Salient helmet.
I've never found a perfect fit in any helmet, so I can say the fit is average for me. There are two main things that I noticed:
1 - it's much cooler temp wise than my Shoei TZ-R. Part of that seems to be the liner spacing and the way it fits on my head. It will be the summer helmet this year.
2 - the shield has some distortion, it's not optically correct and it's proving to be a distraction until I can get used to it.

Has anyone else had issues with Icon's shields? I'm wondering if maybe it was just a manufacturing defect or is it a common problem... thoughts?

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have a Variant and an Airframe and haven't had any issues with optics. I will say that the Variant fits my head shape better than the Airframe, but there's no surprise one fits better than the other.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
A major part of the riding experience is visual. I could never get used to distortion.

·
Registered
558 Posts
We sell a ton of Icons and have never had any complaints about optics. You may have a lemon

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Riding with distorted vision is something I would not advice as I wouldn't be able to do it.
Scorpions make helmets that fit me best- Icons are too tight on the temples, Shoes & Arais seem a bit small (chin tends to stick out) and AGVs also feel a bit tight but better than the others. I don't mind- the price difference between them saves me some coin without compromising safety!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
is it a mirror shield by chance? A lot of cheaper mirror shields have slightly worse optical clarity than tinted or clear ones.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's the stock clear shield that came with it. Must be a manufacturing defect. I have dark tint, clear and yellow visors for my Shoei... all three are pretty much perfect.
The distortions in the Icon shield are slight stretching and some minor rippling... as if they were press molded instead of injection molded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts