Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy an ecu so I can have the used one flashed and then if I need warranty work I can put the original ecu back in and not invalidate my factory warranty.
anyone know if this will work and where I can find one.
Thanks
LRoss78550

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I want to buy an ecu so I can have the used one flashed and then if I need warranty work I can put the original ecu back in and not invalidate my factory warranty.
anyone know if this will work and where I can find one.
Thanks
LRoss78550
You may be worrying for nothing. I've never heard of a warranty declared invalid because someone flashed the CPU and changed the fuel map. Not to mention...how could they know the ECU was flashed unless they were specifically looking for evidence of a lean condition that blew up the engine? Highly unlikely.

To answer your question....they only way to buy a used CPU is when the salvage yard has a wrecked fz-09. Sooner or later someone will total a FZ-09 and not have full coverage insurance that could sell you one...but that hasn't happened yet.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That little ECU might be doing more recording than u might think. I would be timid on changing anything myself because i dont know exactly what it does or how it actually works. I dont know of any computer that doesnt record every change made to it. If u know how to look for it u can find it.
A friend took his busa in for service and they told him to be a little more aggressive on it that he was kinda being easy on it. They told him how he was riding the bike, thats pretty good info that they could pull. And why would yamaha not void a warranty if u are the one who changed a factory setting, that would only be beneficial for them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
that would only be beneficial for them.
The dealerships want things to go thru warranty.. Easy money for them. No hassle, full shop rate, and you spend the money you didn't spend in service, in their apparel and parts dept.. Win win win..
I was at the dealer having them look at my cct and asked about exhausts and warranties.. He said they do what they can without lying. They want the warranty work.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I wish I could have helped you out. They towed my bike away before I got a chance to get someone to pull my ECU.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts