Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I started to noticing CCT noise around 4000 RPMs. Bike has about 2400 miles. I called my dealer and set up appointment for them to check it out.
I asked the guy if they have any solution from Yamaha. He tells me that they heard complaints from customers about this issue but they don't have a fix for it and will have to contact Yamaha after checking it out. I was under impression, after reading about it on forum here, that they came up with some kind of solution already. So which one is it ?
Now what if they don't hear the noise I'm talking about ? Are they going to leave it alone and do nothing ?

One more thing, since I'm going there should I ask them about throttle body sync ? Is that something they could check and adjust as needed or they can tell me that it was necessary and do it regardless ? Also how much should I expect to pay for this adjustment ?

Got a lot of questions here, thanks for any input.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My Yamaha dealer (Canadian) said the same thing about there being no official CCT fix yet. It took me until 10,000 kms on the odometer and 2 appointments where they claimed they couldn't hear the noise (I could hear it very well at highway speeds, but they never tested on the highway) before I got the the piece that everyone is talking about. Just say that you've seen a fix on some forums and you want the same thing. That's what I did and it eventually worked.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
For the CCT - the "fix" is to replace your tensioner with a new 03 tensioner. So far i have close to 1200 miles on mine and it's still working fine. Other guys (as i'm sure you've read) have had it replaced and the noise has come back (some as low as 300 miles - and as high as 2,000 miles).

The only alternative to this right now is to replace it with an APE manual tensioner - i think it's somewhere around $150, it's manual not automatic but you will not deal with the Yamaha BS.

My 2 cents - if the bike is covered under warranty - take it to the dealer and have them replace it - hopefully you get it sooner vs. later (my was back ordered for 3 months but that was awhile ago).

If you're hearing it - take a video or audio recording to show to the dealer just to be on the safe side. Chances are if the problem is coming up now - it won't correct itself anymore - the tensioner is shot.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Based on the information on this forum, the replacement CCTs are still failing. My solution was to install a stainless steel
set screw/washer/nut. Read through the "I got a tick thread" or search YouTube for a how-to. In my case it was more prevention. When they delivered my bike, i installed the above mentioned hardware before I put 1km on the bike - hasn't made a sound. I'm currently at 1700km and plan on checking the CCT periodically to see if it has self adjusted - not holding my breath for that to happen. If/when the cam chain starts to make noise, I'll adjusted the CCT and reset the set-screw, tighten the locknut and continue on enjoying my machine :)

Regardless at a shop or you performing a throttle body sync, if you go through the process of removing everything and hooking up gauges, setting the throttle valve(s) is really the last step in the process - besides putting everything back on afterwards. The only difference is the dealer will charge you.

-Dave

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yep, my noise started back up again yesterday. I had taken it to the dealer and they adjusted it, but I guess it didn't last. sounded horrible when I started up yesterday. I will be taking her back to the dealer today or tomorrow to see if they can get me the replacement part.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Yep, my noise started back up again yesterday. I had taken it to the dealer and they adjusted it, but I guess it didn't last. sounded horrible when I started up yesterday. I will be taking her back to the dealer today or tomorrow to see if they can get me the replacement part.
if you're lucky - the adjustment with no longer set screw will last 20 miles. You need to install a longer set screw or get a new tensioner - adjusting the tension yourself is quite easy. I'm a complete mechanical moron and it took me all of 10 minutes to figure out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here's my thing though; if Yamaha designed the CCT to be automatic, what harm are you doing by stopping said automatic function from working by installing a set screw? The CCT adjusts depending on RPM, if it's not allowed to loosen at higher RPM's I can't help but imagine it is causing harm to internal components.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Here's my thing though; if Yamaha designed the CCT to be automatic, what harm are you doing by stopping said automatic function from working by installing a set screw? The CCT adjusts depending on RPM, if it's not allowed to loosen at higher RPM's I can't help but imagine it is causing harm to internal components.
My understanding is - the CCT adjuster backs out too much - it shoudl stop and it doesnt - so instead of adjusting the point where its tensioned properly it keeps backing out until it's super loose. Adding the longer set screw (the length of the set screw is very specific) - prevents this from happening thus keeping the tensioner in the right range.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Manual CCTs are preferred over auto adjusters in engines where performance is key. The use of auto adjusters was to facilitate ease of use for the owner, not optimal performance. Most race bikes use manual tensioners, because changing rpm and the chain loosening and tightening as oil pressure fluctuates, is detrimental.

Manual CCTs are better, but many people do not like turning wrenches.

In fact, most auto adjusters do NOT allow the chain to loosen at all, they are ratchet type adjusters. Once the adjuster advances a tooth, it does not relent, it will not loosen. There is nothing magical going on here. Manual adjusters offer more consistent tension, which is better for engine components.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a weird sound, not sure if it's CCT or not, the engine sounds fine when I'm riding normally but once I come up to something like a highway partition, or anything that bounces sound back, I hear this weird buzzing... is that the CCT issue? Again, if I'm just riding/idling in the open it's perfectly smooth, no weird sounds or anything.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
there are countless threads on this - go on youtube and search FZ09 CCT noise - there are several videos that highlight the sound.

·
Registered
520 Posts
that's good to hear - i'm hoping i can say the same!
Honestly, i think my first cct was fine until i was paranoid from everyone mentioning theirs failing and started playing with it, once i adjusted it and "cracked the seal" of the threads it was no longer questionable that it was there and returning... The set screw method is fine too though, yamaha will say its bad for the bike but unless you really crank down on the set screw and mess up the threads its not an issue. ... This fix has taken place for years on other bikes with success.

Only reason i replaced the cct instead of keeping set screw in is because it was free, haha

Kaiser

·
Registered
48 Posts
Manual CCTs are preferred over auto adjusters in engines where performance is key. The use of auto adjusters was to facilitate ease of use for the owner, not optimal performance. Most race bikes use manual tensioners, because changing rpm and the chain loosening and tightening as oil pressure fluctuates, is detrimental.

Manual CCTs are better, but many people do not like turning wrenches.

In fact, most auto adjusters do NOT allow the chain to loosen at all, they are ratchet type adjusters. Once the adjuster advances a tooth, it does not relent, it will not loosen. There is nothing magical going on here. Manual adjusters offer more consistent tension, which is better for engine components.
I'll probably go with a manual adjuster if/when the new one being installed by the dealer fails. My S1 has been "adjusted" by the dealer twice now, S3 (I guess) is supposed to be here 10/17...

I don't mind turning wrenches, but I do intend on taking full advantage of my warranty. Once the new CCT is in that is the last time my bike will see the dealer, unless the engine blows due to the CCT. :cool:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'll probably go with a manual adjuster if/when the new one being installed by the dealer fails. My S1 has been "adjusted" by the dealer twice now, S3 (I guess) is supposed to be here 10/17...

I don't mind turning wrenches, but I do intend on taking full advantage of my warranty. Once the new CCT is in that is the last time my bike will see the dealer, unless the engine blows due to the CCT. :cool:
I'm the same way - figure if i get a tensioner that works and it was free from Yamaha - i'll take it before paying out of pocket to fix a defective part.

There are plenty of guys on here that have had zero CCT issues (and i'm sure many more outside this forum) - so there has to be some out there that don't suck. Whether you get one or not is more luck than anything else.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the new part "03" tensioner in for 500 or so miles. Has worked the same way since installed by dealer. Hear the ticking from 3-4K RPM only UNTIL engine temp warms to 180 or so. Goes away then. I presume the tensioner only tensions so much, then physics of metal and heat comes into play. This is also BTW EXACTLY how my Fizzer kit (set screw and lock nut) worked. I was tightening until couldn't feel chain slapping wrench, plus 1/8 turn. Would still hear ticking under load until 180 or so on engine temp. So I'm fine with the Yamaha 03 part for now. Noisy, quirky, awesome naked bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts