Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I want to Cry :( i played with my Cam Chain Tensioner and i tightened it too much when i started the engine in neutral there was too much tension on the chain and it snapped as far as i can see it also broke some of the crank sprocket teeth.

any advice apart from staying away from my bike lol, is my engine gone or is there hope?

Cheers

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dismount chain from engine sprocket, dm. also eng. sprocket.
Inspect optically the gear housing.
In neutral gear rotate the output shaft. (And hope, there is no "scratch feeling" at all.) > Then you engine should be ok.

·
Administrator
178 Posts
Man, if you broke some of the teeth off, you're in for a VERY expensive repair! It's built onto the crankshaft...and those are over $450 by themselves! Good luck, man....

Neil

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
That is a rough way to learn man.

In the future, most things are always better a little loose than a little tight, except for the obvious ones like women and wheels.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spoken to a mechanic and he reckons it’s cheaper to buy an engine and replace it as it would cost a lot just to try and figure out what is damaged.

Anyone knows if I can buy a different year engine to fit in. Also any difference in the engine with the MT09 rally?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For everyone out there that has ever wondered why Yamaha doesn't just put a manual tensioner from the factory,,this is why
However stupid my actions were I think they could have a better quality one. But I get your point amateurs like me shouldn’t watch a YouTube video and think they can fix anything. lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man, if you broke some of the teeth off, you're in for a VERY expensive repair! It's built onto the crankshaft...and those are over $450 by themselves! Good luck, man....

Neil
Yeah been advised to change the engine it would be cheaper. Looking for a breaker now.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Bugger! That's an expensive way to learn to tighten things a little at a time, and if in doubt - don't. Ask someone first.
I think all the 09 engines will fit.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Spoken to a mechanic and he reckons it’s cheaper to buy an engine and replace it as it would cost a lot just to try and figure out what is damaged.

Anyone knows if I can buy a different year engine to fit in. Also any difference in the engine with the MT09 rally?
What does it take to install a new crankshaft sprocket and chain? Once that's done properly, then you will know if the engine is ok. No need to figure out if anything is damage. Might be better than getting a new motor and installation and who knows...your motor might be just fine.

·
Registered
700 Posts
If the valves are good and the motor didnt run too long....obviously...then it should be a crankshaft replacement and chain. You may have damaged the cam shafts too but a visual check will show. As for the work being done that is where the costs will go through the roof unless you do it yoursel. Given your mechanical aptitude I would suggest your mechanic friend is right. Maybe its a good time to try and strip it down and learn.... even if you f it up you can fit another motor.

Good luck

·
Registered
795 Posts
However stupid my actions were I think they could have a better quality one. But I get your point amateurs like me shouldn’t watch a YouTube video and think they can fix anything. lol
I wasn't picking on you, and I agree ,Yamaha could have done a much better job resolving the issues on the first year bikes ,I personally don't want a manual tensioner in my high mileage bike but they won't give me any more !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wasn't picking on you, and I agree,Yamaha could have done a much better job resolving the issues on the first year bikes ,I personally don't want a manual tensioner in my high mileage bike but they won't give me any more !
I didn’t think you was mate. I think I’m gonna ask a mechanic to just open and see if the damage is as bad. Otherwise a replacement engine from eBay.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
if you buy new (ebay) you could flip som $$$ back from selling parts from the old engine

side note may hang on to the clutch though
Some good advice here, especially about the clutch.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts