Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching this forum for a few months now as I wanted an FZ but knew that I would have to wait until after my 2000 mile move from Detroit to Arizona. I just needed a bit of detail on availability, OTD pricing, and financing options.

So I went to a dealership yesterday in Chandler, AZ to get some info on the fz-07 because I am a newer rider and i thought it would be a better fit for me and cheaper than the 09. Despite their website still listing a 07 on the new inventory page, they didn't have one. I wasn't surprised by this, it is a new bike after all. So my salesman shows me to the fz-09s (that I still lust for) an tells me they are CHEAPER than the 07s! It was told to me by the sales manager that the reason the 09 was cheaper was because it had rebates that the 07 didn't. This sounds like bullshit but all that really matters are the following numbers.

FZ-07 OTD price was ~$9,500

FZ-09 OTD price was ~$9,000

The 09 seems priced pretty high for how often my salesman (who had much more caffeine in him than knowledge) ensured me that they could get a graphite one in at the snap of a finger for me. It would seem as if the supply and demand equation falls in my favor on the 09. It is worth noting though my salesman also noted that the fz-09 that he would sell me could bet 60 mpg easily. When I then pointed to the 4 foot sign he was standing next to that said 43.5 mpg, he ensured me that would only be if I had an active wrist. The trip was full of other misinformation that was less egregious, but it painted a clear picture that I could not take anything said about the bikes themselves seriously.

The 07 price seems ridiculous. It is just a huge markup. I know I am on the losing side of that supply and demand equation, but it still seems excessive. I just can't swing that price.

Unfortunately, I have come to the realization that I will not be buying a FZ. It is sad because that is what I really want. But when I take into account the OTD prices and the insurance cost of being a 23 year old male, I cant accept the risk of a $9000+ loan without collision or comprehensive insurance. (Quotes for the 07/09 with collision and comprehensive ranged from $3k to $7k per year. Which I refuse to pay.)

So the hunt for a fun commuter continues. They had a pretty blue used '07 fz6r on the floor yesterday that piqued my interest at $4,500. I was surprised at the how upright it was. I may be a 23 year old male, but i have no desire to be tucked in on a supersport, so an fz6r might work for a couple of years until my insurance goes down and I can take a FZ-09 off of one of your hands.;)

Any suggestions for a used motorcycle with a relaxed riding positon and enough power to keep happy with for two years or so are appreciated. It has to commute on the freeway and handle mountain riding.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Don't give up bc of insurance. Shop it HARD. My quotes ranged from 350/yr to 3600/yr full coverage.

Reactions: Josh

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
And Don't Give Up on the OTD pricing. Most salesman at the "Stealerships" are full of BS...this is nothing new. Shop it via the Phone, not email. Stealerships within 100-400 miles.....you'd be surprised how the more remote the location the better the OTD pricing. And maybe they'd add-on 100-200 delivery charge after saving you $1200.

I think you might outgrow the '07 after 3-6 mo's and regret not getting what you really want....good Luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't give up bc of insurance. Shop it HARD. My quotes ranged from 350/yr to 3600/yr full coverage.
I saw this sentiment in other threads. So I did my research last weekend and contacted 8 insurance companies. The lowest I found was close to $3k per year. (23, male, single, 1 speeding ticket)

And Don't Give Up on the OTD pricing. Most salesman at the "Stealerships" are full of BS...this is nothing new. Shop it via the Phone, not email. Stealerships within 100-400 miles.....you'd be surprised how the more remote the location the better the OTD pricing. And maybe they'd add-on 100-200 delivery charge after saving you $1200.

I think you might outgrow the '07 after 3-6 mo's and regret not getting what you really want....good Luck.
Thanks there are other dealers around, although my hopes aren't high that the story will be much different. The boonies dealership idea does sound like a workable solution, I will have to look into that. I wish FizzerPilot's dealer was out here.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If it's your first bike then I would recommend the 07. It will have plenty of power for a few years but the 09 will be a handful. Those otd prices are ludicrous. As stated call around and you will find a good deal. Second, insurance should be nowhere near that much for an 07. I pay 419/yr full coverage from dairyland. 26 M no accidents or points.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
9500 OTD for an 07 is ridiculous. They are jacking customers because of high demand and low supply. Shop around and don't overpay just to have it now. Be patient, my friend...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
9500 OTD for an 07 is ridiculous. They are jacking customers because of high demand and low supply. Shop around and don't overpay just to have it now. Be patient, my friend...
Those are some Crazy #'s.....

Must have been a RED one:cool:

Reactions: Da Braddah

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a little bit of a drive from Chandler, but I'd recommend going here. Go AZ Motorcycles, Scottsdale Arizona Go AZ Motorcycles Scottsdale, AZ 480-609-1800 They're in North Scottsdale and have a ton of new and used bikes for sale. They don't have new Yamahas though. There's a couple FZ09s on craigslist right now too with very low miles.
Thanks for the tip! I will check them out.

I gotta admit-I like 07 better in Red than Graphite, but that doesn't mean the color war is over--not even close....lol
Graphite all the way. I am red-green colorblind, so I am a sucker for blue. The blue accents on the graphite win me over in a landslide.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I recommend NOT buying a new bike as a first motorcycle. Buy something cheap and predropped so that when you drop it, you will not significantly impact the value.

If you have to finance everything and have no down payment, I suggest you save up some more cash first.

In addition to buying the bike you will need several hundred $ for riding gear: helmet, boots, gloves, jacket, pants.

You also need to get the MSF BRC as that will reduce your insurance rates substantially and make you a better/safer more aware rider.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
570 Posts
Wait for it...wait for it...get an SV650 for between $2K-$4K depending on age/condition and enjoy the much lower insurance rates. Ride the snot out of it for a few years and then transition to an FZ-09 when your rates will be lower and used ones will be cheaper.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I recommend NOT buying a new bike as a first motorcycle. Buy something cheap and predropped so that when you drop it, you will not significantly impact the value.

If you have to finance everything and have no down payment, I suggest you save up some more cash first.

In addition to buying the bike you will need several hundred $ for riding gear: helmet, boots, gloves, jacket, pants.

You also need to get the MSF BRC as that will reduce your insurance rates substantially and make you a better/safer more aware rider.
I do a TON of research on major decisions like this one. So I have $1000 aside for the full kit of gear from Revzilla. I also have money saved for the bike, I can make a large deposit or even pay full cash on some used bikes. The big reason for financing is building my credit report so I can get a house in a couple of years. I also have an MSF course scheduled already.

My first bike was a 1992 CBR 600, a terrible cheap and used bike that I bought in college that died before I got comfortable as a rider. After my visit yesterday, I began looking at craigslist more intently. SV650s listed right now are a little more run down than I would prefer. I don't want to repeat my first bike. There is a good looking 2006 FZ6 for $3500 that I am considering, seeing how it is $1000 less than the one at RideNow.

Wait for it...wait for it...get an SV650 for between $2K-$4K depending on age/condition and enjoy the much lower insurance rates. Ride the snot out of it for a few years and then transition to an FZ-09 when your rates will be lower and used ones will be cheaper.
I am in agreement, I just have to find one in better condition. How is the seating position on a SV650? I dont want to be in a tuck position.

But bro... Who wants a used bike? It's harder to get ass on a used bike...
HAHAHA!! Not a concern for somebody who is engaged!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Standard SV650 seating is very comfy and quite upright, the S version is a bit more sport bike-like though not quite as hardcore as many race-reps.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Get something like a used Suzuki SV650. That bike should be reliable, fairly upright, and has more than enough power for a new or experienced rider. You shoule be able to pick up a mid 2000 model in the $3000 range, ride it for a year, and sell it for just about what you paid for it. Insurance should be cheaper, and if you drop the bike, you won't feel nearly so bad. And definitely do not go back to that dealer.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I do a TON of research on major decisions like this one. So I have $1000 aside for the full kit of gear from Revzilla. I also have money saved for the bike, I can make a large deposit or even pay full cash on some used bikes. The big reason for financing is building my credit report so I can get a house in a couple of years. I also have an MSF course scheduled already.

My first bike was a 1992 CBR 600, a terrible cheap and used bike that I bought in college that died before I got comfortable as a rider. After my visit yesterday, I began looking at craigslist more intently. SV650s listed right now are a little more run down than I would prefer. I don't want to repeat my first bike. There is a good looking 2006 FZ6 for $3500 that I am considering, seeing how it is $1000 less than the one at RideNow.

I am in agreement, I just have to find one in better condition. How is the seating position on a SV650? I dont want to be in a tuck position.

HAHAHA!! Not a concern for somebody who is engaged!
Good that you have thought it through and are prepared. That is not true for most noobs!

I think you should shop the insurance folks again, make sure they include the MSF class and that you have however many years riding experience since you bought for 92 CBR600.

BTW, the 92 CBR600 was a pretty good bike, even by today's standards. There are a lot better bikes through.

It is important for the insurance companies to have all discounts taken into account. It may be good to have them quote your entire insurance portfolio as well (Car, renters and motorcycle policies) as often that can give tremendous discounts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts