Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods, please move this to the correct section if needed. I wasn't sure where this should go.

Well, I screwed up when changing my oil. The oil filter was on too tight so I implemented "ye ole screwdriver method" that I've used many times before. However, I was a bit over-zealous with my hammering of the screwdriver and put a nice phillips-head-shaped hole in this part, now oil is leaking out of it. SHIT.

So, what part is this and would I be able to fix it myself or should I let a motorcycle mechanic do it?

I'm an idiot. Cheers.

Oops.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...I thought about patching it maybe with JB Weld, but on such a new bike, that just seems like a shame.

As a note, I had the K&N 204 filter on but I must've tightened it too tight last time. I couldn't get a good bite on the 17mm nut on the end with a socket, wrench, or channel locks. Hand tight next time for sure.

Will I have to remove the exhaust to remove/install this oil cooler? Looks like a tight squeeze with any tools.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well if you have oil leaking out of it then it sounds like you went through the water jacket and oil jacket so patching might be out of the picture. Not sure about taking off the exhaust, I've never had my cooler off. Doesn't look like you will be able to get a socket on it with the exhaust on. A wrench might get in there. I just measures the bolt on mine and it looks like a 36mm.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A bit of a noob question here...but it seems as though coolant and oil both flow through this. Should I drain the coolant from the radiator before attempting?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The stock torque on the oil filter is insane. If you can get a good hold on it with a small oil filter wrench (I snagged mine at Home Depot near the lawn mower section for $5) you can get it off but it's damn hard.

Best to always hand tighten future filters - and get a k&n filter with the 8mm bolt on the end. Makes taking the new ones off super easy and they are the same price as the oem yammi filters.

Reactions: Dalex

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
That blows. I ended up using a strap wrench to get the stock filter off. Worked perfectly. Definitely a handy tool to have in the collection.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Yep, that heat exchanger. Coolant warp up oil or cool it down. Look like you will have a new shinny one now.

Don't bother fixing it... get a new one. Then spend some $ on a good oil filter wrench... lol

Don't beat yourself, we all screw up once in a while.

Check out ebay maybe. Plenty of owner wadded it up already. Should yave some spare parts out there available. Contact some sellets that seems to have engine parts... might worth a shot?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Sorry but this thread is so funny, I almost peed myself. Hey you guys if some where in the first oil change you have ever done, in you whole life , and you are on the filter (What is this part?) with your mothers butter knife and the hammer
from you Tommy Two Toots train set , STOP! Give me a call or a PM, and we can work it out. This is not f**king Rocket Surgery, and there is not one reason in the world that a $30 oil change should turn into a $300 repair
bill, that you do not have the skill or the tools to do. I am not being hateful but there is plenty of know how on the forum. If you don't know what your doing I would love to help you before you screw the pooch.

·
Registered
857 Posts
True, but it should not happen. A screw driver and a hammer are not the tools to effect an oil change. But it needs to be stressed on the forum, when your on your knees with a hammer and a screw driver to work on your bike that you are about to **** UP! If what's his face would have said! Hey guys my oil filter is tight we could have offered, the old Lefty loosie, glove with rubber mat, strap wrench (my favorite), water pump pliers, anything but the f**king screwdriver (Philips or common) and a GD hammer. I'm an old guy I've screwed up more parts then most of you will ever see, so please, these are new motorcycles, don't go hitting them or cutting this and that off, because you think it will be better. A thousand little Jap engineers have looked at the bike and have decided how the parts
should go together, and generally except for cosmetics they are right. I hope this helps, if not ban me IDGAS.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad I could provide you with your Tuesday night entertainment, alnbama. Hindsight is of course 20/20 and I'm sure I could've come up with another way to get the filter off but since I was in a hurry I resorted to a method I knew was effective and quick, albeit reckless. Shit happens. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Drewski, Please do not think I am attacking you on a personal basis. It is not your fault that you have seen on the forum that driving a screwdriver into the oil filter is a good or common practice. I am very sorry that this
has cause you an expensive repair and down time on you bike. It is not the end of the world. If you do not have a good selection of tools and the expertise to use them, I would recommend a buddy or trusted shop
to make the repairs on you motorcycle. If you would like or need some one to talk to PM me any time and I will answer your questions the best I can. Trust me I have 50 years of screwing up most things and coming out
smelling like roses. Your Pal Al.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts