Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I'm now the proud owner of a 2015 FZ09. Picking it up later in the week. I can't wait to ride and hang out with you all in here. $9060 otd. Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club...where in NJ?...we may be close

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Beautiful New FZ09 :)

Congratulations!:cool:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Linden. Where you from?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely. I grew up in Monmouth County. Matawan to be exact

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sweet bike! Welcome.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
nice and welcome - strong NJ contingent here! - Assuming based on your Screen name - you also a VDUB owner? There seems to be a lot of us here too haha.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. Can't wait to ride in a big group. I'm a big fan of these forums. One of the lil reasons why I did the 9 over the 7... any recommendations on a helmet?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like the Nolan n44. Anyone here have that helmet?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I like the Nolan n44. Anyone here have that helmet?
Helmet choice is very personal - i would suggest finding a shop around you that has a good selection and trying a bunch on. Depending on your head shape you may or may not be able to get the helmet you "really want".

I bought a Shoei qwest previously and it was too small - dumbest decision i ever made trying to make it "work" - my head felt like it was in a vice - the dealer i bought it from told me it would break in but it never did - i took a big loss on it and got my RPS10 instead.

The HJC RPS10 is no longer made but the RPHA10 (it's successor out now) has the same technology and some vent updates - good lid (SNELL AND ECE certified) for sub $400.

I'm replacing my lid next year - looking to step up to an Arai Signet Q with the external sun visor (i hate swapping visors out).

Check out revzilla or similar for good prices - if you're going to buy at a shop (good to support the local guys) - a lot will match revzilla pricing.

Be careful on close outs - you technically should replace your lid every edit *7 years* from the stated build date on the helmet. A lot of close out lids have been sitting on the shelf for their first year post build date - some people argue this is less wear and tear than being expose to sun and temperature so perhaps it's not the same as a full year of riding.

At the end of the day it's your brain - pick wisely :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Be careful on close outs - you technically should replace your lid every 5 years from the stated build date on the helmet. A lot of close out lids have been sitting on the shelf for their first year post build date - some people argue this is less wear and tear than being expose to sun and temperature so perhaps it's not the same as a full year of riding.
This isn't true. It's 7 years from manufacture date and 5 years from purchase date, per both Arai and Shoei.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
This isn't true. It's 7 years from manufacture date and 5 years from purchase date, per both Arai and Shoei.
Yup got those confused - meant 5 year from purchase date - as stated by snell

Why should you replace your helmet every five years?

The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.
Snell Foundation - Helmet FAQ

·
Registered
391 Posts
Congratulations! Beautiful bike. You're going to love this thing. It's the most fun I've had on a street bike since the 70's.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! Glad to see you made the right choice and picked the faster silver version.

Reactions: Vwporkchop

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I usually end up with a new helmet before five years is up anyway but I'm curious if people actually replace perfectly good helmets after a seemingly arbitrary period of time just because you're "supposed to".

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i'm always looking for an excuse to buy new gear :)

Reactions: BMcEL

·
Registered
673 Posts
I usually end up with a new helmet before five years is up anyway but I'm curious if people actually replace perfectly good helmets after a seemingly arbitrary period of time just because you're "supposed to".
They won't let you on the track if your helmet is older than 5 years (manufactured date).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts