2,330 Posts
Fz09 mirrors are 10mm thread.

Right mirror is left hand thread
Left mirror is right hand thread

There are all sorts of adapters and extenders on ebay for $5-10

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but both mirrors are right hand (clockwise) thread, unlike most other Yamaha mirrors. I have a wrong set to prove it.
mine were normal on the left, reverse on the right. i think the reason they do this is so that if something hits the mirrors from the front, they'll loosen rather than tighten.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Now I am perplexed. I will have to take a video of myself unscrewing both of them. My WR had reverse threads on the right.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
mine were normal on the left, reverse on the right. i think the reason they do this is so that if something hits the mirrors from the front, they'll loosen rather than tighten.
^This.

Right side is reverse threaded.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Soooo... Adaptors on eBay with this in the description would not fit...?

Right hand adapter: female- standard 10mm, male-10mm anti clockwise

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I have one set that would not work. They are anti-clockwise. Just wait until I get home from work tonight. I will verify that the link that I provided from my eBay purchase history is the correct one based on unscrewing my mirrors.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok well I waited a week and they came in I tried them and they don't thread in because the male part is 10 mm but the female into the mirror base is not it's 8mm according to my digital calipers.so I need 10mm x 8 mm

·
Registered
260 Posts
Today I installed the SW-Motech Mirror Wideners with the stock Yamaha mirrors. Previously without the wideners, the field of view in the mirrors revealed approximately 1/2 shoulder and 1/2 rear view. After a test ride, I was pleasantly surprised to see closer to 90% rear view and the rest shoulder!
One stumbling block was the right hand mirror / left hand threading. The provided allen head 10mm bolt "class of fit" tolerance was much tighter than the mirror shaft itself and the bolt would thread in a few turns, start to get tight as if I was cross threading it. I removed the lock nut from the mirror and used it to "loosen" up the threads on the provided 10mm left hand bolt, twisting almost as if I were cutting new threads. Then set about to advance that bolt into the mirror mount on the handlebars, cautiously turning as if I were "cutting threads", backing out frequently to make sure I wasn't stripping the threads.
All went well and I was happy to maintain the stock mirrors and gain the increased views. I was skeptical that a widener of 30mm would provide as much view as it did and I think from a safety standpoint, it was money well spent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts