Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work grave yard so I do night riding to get to work I have replaced the stock light with a PIAA Gt-X Super Plasma Headlight Hsi Bulb.And replaced the small running light inside the head light with HYPER-D LED WEDGE BULB.

Right now I'm not looking to do some thing like AHR has but maybe in the winter time.I'm trying to find some auxilary lighting that doesn't look to dorky looking that I can mount some where on the front end.Any one have any links or suggeestions ?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I hung a couple cheap Chinese LED floods from the accessory bar between the forks after I moved the horn. 800 lumens per. Wired into the aux circuit and a rocker switch in that box under the seat the abs should go in. Using the existing knockouts meant no permanent modifications, I can strip everything back to factory in a couple mins if I decide I don't like them.
Lights look a little dorky but put out a bunch more light. Haven't been flashed by oncoming traffic yet, but its probably pretty annoying.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hung a couple cheap Chinese LED floods from the accessory bar between the forks after I moved the horn. 800 lumens per. Wired into the aux circuit and a rocker switch in that box under the seat the abs should go in. Using the existing knockouts meant no permanent modifications, I can strip everything back to factory in a couple mins if I decide I don't like them.
Lights look a little dorky but put out a bunch more light. Haven't been flashed by oncoming traffic yet, but its probably pretty annoying.
If it's possible can you take a couple of pics of your set up .

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
TRS has released LED pods that have 1000 lumen output each, and only consume 10W of power per pod. Come with the choice of mounts and bezel colors. Let me know if you are interested in a set, these are backed by a 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
120 Posts
lights1.jpg lights2.jpg lights3.jpg
They fit nicely in the between the forks, were easy to install and cheap. I paid $20 for the pair, and considered it a proof of concept. I figure I can upgrade them to crees if and when they fail.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was going to use some p-clamps on the forks actually sat down to start dry fitting stuff, then saw that horn bar was just what was needed.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
226 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I work grave yard so I do night riding to get to work I have replaced the stock light with a PIAA Gt-X Super Plasma Headlight Hsi Bulb.And replaced the small running light inside the head light with HYPER-D LED WEDGE BULB.

Right now I'm not looking to do some thing like AHR has but maybe in the winter time.I'm trying to find some auxilary lighting that doesn't look to dorky looking that I can mount some where on the front end.Any one have any links or suggeestions ?
You can use the PIAA 70476 Super Plasma GT-X Anti-vibration H4 Bulb [ 130/125 watt from 60/55 watt ]. I tried both bulbs and the H4 is twice as bright and it is a plug and ride. H4 fits a HSI plug but an HSI will not fit an H4 plug. :color::cool::color:

Amazon.com: PIAA 70476 Super Plasma GT-X Anti-vibration H4 Bulb: Automotive

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like those actually. They're a little more than I'd like to pay (and you still need a wiring harness), but if they perform well I may be interested.

Buy em and post up! :eek:
uploadfromtaptalk1400707292876.jpg This is the harness they offer for it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can use the PIAA 70476 Super Plasma GT-X Anti-vibration H4 Bulb [ 130/125 watt from 60/55 watt ]. I tried both bulbs and the H4 is twice as bright and it is a plug and ride. H4 fits a HSI plug but an HSI will not fit an H4 plug. :color::cool::color:

Amazon.com: PIAA 70476 Super Plasma GT-X Anti-vibration H4 Bulb: Automotive
The only problem with that one is it's illegal in wash st to have that color light and the little town I go thru to go to work they love to pull you over for stupid little things just like that.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just stay out of Black Diamond with any extra lighting and you'll be good! Haha I used to get pulled over in my truck there for running aux 55 Watt fog lights. Personally I just got an LED headlight in the mail and will give that a shot, Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ride thru Algona on my way to work at night they just love us Boeing workers ha ha.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The only problem with that one is it's illegal in wash st to have that color light and the little town I go thru to go to work they love to pull you over for stupid little things just like that.
PIAA 70476 Super Plasma GT-X Anti-vibration H4 Bulb •3800/5000 kelvin rating. PIAA 70473 Super Plasma GT-X HS1 Bulb •5000 kelvin rating. The two bulbs looked very close in color to me. :color: :cool: :color:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Have you bottomed out the forks yet to see if they clear the front fender.
Sorry Doug, missed that question, the first rev of the hangers I built did not clear the fender, fortunately it was no where close so I didn't have to figure that out the hard way. These ones will be fine. 6+ inches, almost an inch more than maximum stroke.
Currently they are on their own switch, and need to be dimmed with the high beams or oncoming drivers at night are blinded. When I get the LED headlight in I am going to wire permanently into the highbeams so I can turn them off when I dim, now I don't want to put the additional power draw on that circuit/dimmer switch.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I liked your setup @Persius - is there a closer look (i.e. a picture) that could help me figure out which accessory bar you are referring to? It it the long one (i.e. from one side of the fork to the other) that the horn's bracket is originally connected? Thanks,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts