Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im ordering the crankcase cover part for the left side of my bike after a crash. This is a replacement that I have not been able to find out much regarding how to and any precautions before you start. Do I need to drain the oil before? Is the crankcase gasket the only additional part to order and change? It appears the water pump is integrated in the cover. Should this be a dealer service that I shouldn't be messing with? Any info and pictures would be much appriciated. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the water pump is bolted to the crankcase cover, so it will need to come off for replacement.

if the cover isn't cracked/leaking, it may be easier to simply sand and paint it in place.

·
Registered
93 Posts
the water pump is bolted to the crankcase cover, so it will need to come off for replacement.

if the cover isn't cracked/leaking, it may be easier to simply sand and paint it in place.
Sorry, your wording kind of thew me off. Please let me clarify a little more so there isn't any confusion. You need to remove the water pump in order to remove the crankshaft cover. You can reuse the water pump but it's recommend to replace the oil rings with new ones (per service manual). You will also want to apply lithium grease onto the two oil rings.

Based on the service manual diagram; You probably don't need to drain the oil since the oil pan sits lower, just be prepared when a small amount of oil does come out. And expect coolant to come out when removing the water pump. Keep a clean workspace so you don't contaminate the oil or coolant.

Here are some torque specs off the manual (pg 5-17, 6-8):
Water pump bolts - 8.7ft-lbs.
Crankshaft end cover - 7.2ft-lbs

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
If you do a search there was a good tutorial of a guy on the forum that replaced this cover some time back.

IMO, it is easier to sand and paint the cover rather than replace it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts