Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about the corbins and not really liking the added height and bulk of the cornbin I guess I must wait for the FZ-09 Sargent to come out of "Development"

I thought about biker pants. you know the pants with butt pads in them for riding in the Tour de France; probably a waste of time. I though about an airhawk seat pad but they are going to eat into my sargent seat budget and have read that they can cause rider instability since you are on a cushion of air.

I thought about a sheepskin gel pad but again the price is eating into my real seat budget.

So what is everyone else doing to ease the pain until a more permanent solution arrives.

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It appears that you're making an assumption that the Sargent seat will not be adding any height or bulk.

If it were me, I would buy an Airhawk and then resell it after you have a permanent solution. Those things don't last 5 minutes in the classifieds section on ADV Rider.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If it were me, I would buy an Airhawk and then resell it after you have a permanent solution. Those things don't last 5 minutes in the classifieds section on ADV Rider.
Anyone have an idea what model Airhawk fits well on the stock seat?? I just rode about 1.5hrs into work today and I could use the extra cushion as well...!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am trying to get a street tracker seat. It is unusual to have to pull into a vacant parking lot back from traffic to put my hand down pants to continue riding. I am checking the sargant site too often for news . If a bathing suit under pants works I'll do it. Some red lights it's tough to smile or answer someone that wants to know what I'm riding.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It appears that you're making an assumption that the Sargent seat will not be adding any height or bulk.

Yes I am making assumptions about the Sargent and for that I am wrong. Im sorry:sad5:

Sooo...I just pulled the trigger on the Airhawk DS cushion from Amazon Prime with next day delivery for $3. So it should be here tomorrow (Saturday).. I will provide my feed back on how it works. One thing about it that I didn't realize is that you can deflate this and roll it up. I like that option for putting it in my back pack while I m getting accustomed to using it and find it to be annoying (if that happens)

I think this will be a good intermediate option even though I am flip-flopping on my OP and as Luck_Devil mentioned I could recoup some $ on ebay later. If this works It will allow me to be patient and wait to see how and if the Sargent is welcomed. Also in the interim, I could loos some weight, slim down and have a lighter load on my butt as well..BUt that would mean cutting my beer intake:concern:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've used an Airhawk for years and the mistake I made in the beginning was using too much air in it. Now I just BARELY put enough air in it to where when I sit on it I can feel it doing it's job. I'm not a big fan of the feel of the Airhawk, and I don't run it all the time, but on long trips when I am riding a boring section of road that doesn't have me moving around much, I will plop on the Airhawk. It's a nice change when your backside starts burning. I've also got a medical grade foam pad that's about an inch thick that I use if I have to slab it some. It adds height to the seat and gives me some legroom.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm not saying it will be the same but....the Sergent Worldsport seat I had on my Bandit 1250 could be bought in a low version and a high version. Also heated/non heated. I am only 5'6" and I like that I can flat foot the FZ-09. Wouldn't want to change that at all.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've used an Airhawk for years and the mistake I made in the beginning was using too much air in it. Now I just BARELY put enough air in it to where when I sit on it I can feel it doing it's job.
This is good advice. I also made the same mistake when I first got mine. Don't blow it up like it's a floatation device. Less is more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts