Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wish me luck! Jacksonville Florida to Miami, about 400 miles. No bags, no windshield, no seat - just earplugs, a fuel controller, and a loud exhaust. Am I insane or is this doable?

·
Registered
137 Posts
You are either crazy or very young. You will probably be a wreck at the end, with saddle sores and hand cramps. Stop every half hour and walk around a bit.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Eh should be a cake walk in florida.
Totally doable, but he may be right about the young part^^^.

I made a 120 mile trip from Grand Forks ND to Bemidji MN last Friday in a snow storm with temps at about 30 degrees plus a 35 knot headwind (couldn't see shit). Took 2.5 hours while I had about 70lbs in my backpack worth of clothes, guns, and ammo and wearing camo hunting waders. The bike only has sliders and turn signals on it, no extra way to carry luggage or deflect wind.

I may have looked really stupid, but when it's duck season, I'll do anything to get out and hunt!
Oh yeah I'm 19.

In florida, where everything is a straight line, it should be a piece of cake. Might take a few hours but just stop every 120 miles for gas and keep on truckin'.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm young. Turning 21 in a couple weeks, but with my back injury, I feel like an old man. I feel up to the task since I love road trips (Jacksonville to new Orleans to Dallas in 13 hours by car, two fuel stops, one stop to pick up a transmission).

I'll be going straight down I95 and have done the trip by car many, many times, so I'm familiar with the roads. No challenges at all other than the Miami traffic which is cured by lane splitting. The only thing I really wish I had is a throttle clamp, I might try to stop by the bike store tomorrow morning just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
You will be fine. When I was that age I rode my 86 GSXR 750 from Denver to Phoenix. Stayed the night in Santa Fe. Lots of ass numbing miles but fun anyways.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
400 miles is not that far. Ive done 400 mile days on the fz09 a couple of times. Ive ridden a lot further on other bikes.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I rode from my place to Ocean City Maryland 2 weeks ago (~200miles). I broke 3 vertebrae in my back April 2013. Going down was ABSOLUTELY terrible (due to traffic) coming home was very pleasant and felt like no time at all. My back doesn't still hurt from it, just gets a little sore even quicker now...oh yea had the baffle out of the akra the whole way ?... Just turned 22.

My ass hurt the worst haha

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I used to ride from Sydney to Phillip Island for MotoGP in one day, about 1700 ks, 1000miles, on my old gsxr 711 streetfighter.
You're not crazy, enjoy it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Be ready for Miami crazy stupid people on the road,every day is getting worse over here,by the way the weather will be nice for a Columbus Regatta this weekend.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Make sure you eat and drink along the way....Stay hydrated.....!!!!

And always keep an eye out for the popo:cool:

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I think the real question is, why would you want to go to Miami? And the second question is, do you speak spanish?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Enjoy the ride!!!
Definitely doable.
Freq. stops (09 setup for that... fuel tank). :coffee:
Oh, and be sure to wear all that cold weather gear!!! :violent5:

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Biggest issue will be boredom. That's lots of strait road riding.

I have the quiet exhaust and a Cadillac seat and often do 300+ in a day mostly in the twisties.

And yes watch out for Deputy Dog with his ray gun.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
As posted above, my biggest concern is you're not eating enough or drinking enough. It's got to be a tough balance to be watching all that (straight) Road, watching for crazy Cagers, stopping for fuel, food, and plenty of water to drink, keeping an eye out for PoPo, while probably always thinking about where to pee pee. :p

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Red bull red bull red bull. Do several long rides like that a year. Always sucks getting off the bike but always great while you're riding.

8 hours on my bike doesn't happen enough aside from in my dreams and Jennifer Lawrence has a tendency to disrupt those. That biyatch, how dare she.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
At that age (early 20s but without back trouble) I could do 2 600 mile days on a naked 38HP bike. 1976 Honda CB400F, Indiana to mid coast Maine.

In your original post I was glad to see you say ear plugs, besides preventing hearing damage they help reduce fatigue on a long ride.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
When I was 18 I rode a BSA 441 Victor I rebuilt from a basket case from Madison Wisconsin to San Diego and back. I slept on park picnic tables.
Those lifelong memories will definitely be Lifelong Memories. :eagerness:

Reactions: FJRider

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
When I was your age I rode that far all the time.....in the snow....uphill......both ways.......with a flat tire........one handed.........:eagerness:

Reactions: beck and Desert Rat
1 - 20 of 39 Posts