Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some things for sale on the yamaha star striker forum and Eric read my post that i will be switching and today he is scheduled for a test ride on an FZ-09 he does not really know anything about the bike accept he likes what he has seen. He is going to take certain pix for me and give me his review. So i might have dragged him over to the dark side.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mentioned in my first post about Eric going to test ride the FZ-09 and i copied and pasted his words below.

I freaking love this bike and very impressed. Simply put it’s just wickedly fast. I actually got the front wheel of the ground 2x on this bike during our 25 minute demo ride and I have no wheelie experience as the Stryker was my first bike. This bike created a few pucker moments for me. We had a lot of opportunities to get launches from stops signs in an area full of orchards (read no cops or traffic) and I basically was holding on for dear life. On one of the runs I where the wheel got off the ground I was shifting from 1st to 2nd (at 63mph) and when I rapidly shift and hit the throttle up it came. The motor seems like it is limitless in its revs. There are three driving modes on this bike STD , A and B. The bike starts in STD, then you press the mode button to cycle through the modes. I could not really tell much difference between STD and A, but on a short ride, you are trying to get a feel for the bike, watching for traffic, plus the riders in front and behind you all while trying out the buttons and finding them between head checks. So I did not spend a lot of time in STD and A mode. All I know is B mode should have name something more appropriately like HOLD ON! Push than button with a closed throttle (or pulled-in clutch), watch A turn to B and cracked the throttle and this bike goes ballistic. In B mode the throttle gets twitchy in normal riding conditions. It was kinda difficult to maintain a constant speed in traffic conditions. It just want to launch, put it back in STD mode and it calms down for regular cruising but still with very fast throttle response and acceleration. The bike is essentially Bi-polar. The bike is very nimble, very light weight and with dual front disc brakes it stops very well from those incredible speeds it reaches so quickly.

Everyone who rode it had huge smiles and basically said they wanted one. If you want a bad ass street fighter and have no desire for track days save $7000 and forget the R1 and take this home. I could never get away with two bikes in the garage with the Mrs. and I am not ready to give my long awaited for Stryker. However for the same price as the Bolt this would be more smiles per mile and I think has more technology in the motor. I did like the upright seating position although after 20 minutes I could feel a bit of uncomfortableness in part of the seating position. On the cruisers you sit on your ass like but with your legs behind you on this bike I felt pressure after 20 minutes on the area just behind your nuts. The seat is way more narrower than cruiser and it seemed like all my weight was sitting in this smaller area. Maybe a seat upgrade would resolve this.

I was fortunate to show up early to get a spot to ride this. They had a lot riders signed up when I showed up on Sunday morning. They had three Bolts but only one FZ-09. I asked what’s up with that and apparently there was two FZ’s on Saturday but someone wrecked the second one in a S turn.

So there is my review, probably will just use this verbatim in the thread. If given the chance I highly recommend you get to an event and demo this bike as I don’t think many dealers are going to be allowing test rides soon as these will be sold before they are uncrated for a little while.

Eric

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
Nice write up, but I think he got the "A" mode and the "B" mode reversed. The "A" mode is the "hold onto your ass mode" and the "B" mode is a softer, less H.P. mode.

Reactions: Stoltec Moto

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what i thought but like he said he was trying to test all modes but it is hard to do when you have to watch out for others and get familiar with a new bike. But i am glad you knew what he meant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts