Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my FZ-09 so much I am about to dump my R1!!! OMG - I have them side by side in my Garage, I want to pick the FZ every time. I feel like such a traitor and unfaithful to my R1. Oh my R1 is Big Black and Really Fast but I want something lighter and easier to handle. What is wrong with me??? I am totally ignoring a fine piece of machinery like the R1 for some Rambunctious Insane Action with the FZ. Jeezbus, I must be going through a mid-life crisis. I am about to divorce the R1. What would you do???

Signed, Mr Vexed aka (Horsman)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Horsman, can you afford to keep them both? I had an R6 before the FZ, man I loved that bike, and there's times where I miss the speed, suspension and 'crouch' of a supersport. Having it stolen, unfortunately, made my decision a bit easier than yours. Best of luck with your difficult decision...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I know how you feel. I come from long line of sport bikes and mine sits next to a hayabusa. I love them both but find myself taking the 09 out more often when I get the chance to ride. They are two different animals but the 09 pulls just fine and is just more fun for some reason. I needed to sit upright I guess to realize how much I enjoy riding all over again. Sounds silly to me but sitting upright on a triple has been a game changer for me. I am planning on keeping both but I usually sell/trade every couple of years so we shall see...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Horsman, can you afford to keep them both? I had an R6 before the FZ, man I loved that bike, and there's times where I miss the speed, suspension and 'crouch' of a supersport. Having it stolen, unfortunately, made my decision a bit easier than yours. Best of luck with your difficult decision...
I know what you are talking about. I can afford to keep both but if I am riding one more than the other seems pointless to have two. I had an 06 R6 - loved that bike (tall for me, short for my old girlfriend). Which drew me to the R1. It is completely awesome in everything but wants to get me into trouble. Seriously, it wants higher speeds than the posted speed limit. You are absolutely right, as soon as I sell it, I will need to get something to scratch that itch - Kix style. Maybe I just need a cold shower and chill out about this bike.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know how you feel. I come from long line of sport bikes and mine sits next to a hayabusa. I love them both but find myself taking the 09 out more often when I get the chance to ride. They are two different animals but the 09 pulls just fine and is just more fun for some reason. I needed to sit upright I guess to realize how much I enjoy riding all over again. Sounds silly to me but sitting upright on a triple has been a game changer for me. I am planning on keeping both but I usually sell/trade every couple of years so we shall see...
Madcow, I am like you, I sell every couple of years too. I guess because the technology and new options just pulls me in like a moth to the flame. The FZ is perfect me for right now. :)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Yeah that damn R6 got me into a lot of trouble. The comfortable cruising speed on that bike was 65-70 mph. No matter how fast I thought I was going, every time I looked down I was going way faster than I should have been, lol. The FZ isn't that way, for me at least. It feels the same at 55-60 that the R6 felt like at closer to 70. Without any tracks in Hawai'i, though it would have been pointless for me to replace the R6 with another one-and waaayyyy too expensive for a new one over here. As it turns, thankfully, the FZ scratches my itch quite nicely.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I miss the speed of a crotch rocket but I don't miss the seating position nor the weight. If I have the gixer or a racing ready bike, I still would ride the fz 09 more. Hard choice what you have to make but best of luck and enjoy both.

Reactions: Horsman

·
Registered
833 Posts
Well, for me.. as I have aged, I like the more upright riding position of the 09. My wrists and back are grateful. And I do not need a bike that does 180mph any more. The FZ is quick enough to keep me entertained and comfortable enough also (although a new seat is on the list).

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
What year R1? I miss mine... :(

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
The thing I miss most about supersports is the long gears. I miss being able to run to damn near 70 mph in first gear. And over 100 in 2nd.
This... 98 on my R1 before having to shift to second. haha

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm in the same boat. 2013 FJR. Thinking about selling it, but waiting on the Shad bags/mounts to be out for the FZ….

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What year R1? I miss mine... :(
It is a 2010 - great bike but man that thing is just going to collect me a lot of speeding tickets - I got popped last year (4 pointer) and honestly, I didn't think I was going very fast.
That thing is really made for the track (and I am working like a dog lately so no track days). I went ahead and put it on Craigslist yesterday. :(

R1 Slideshow by 4Horsman | Photobucket

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, for me.. as I have aged, I like the more upright riding position of the 09. My wrists and back are grateful. And I do not need a bike that does 180mph any more. The FZ is quick enough to keep me entertained and comfortable enough also (although a new seat is on the list).
Broncsrule21, I have aged too -- LOL. You and I have the complaint (wrists/back and can only ride for a few hours). Yeah, I don't need a bike that can do 180 up and down I-25- LOL It was fun to ride a couple years ago but my taste has changed. :)

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
833 Posts
Broncsrule21, I have aged too -- LOL. You and I have the complaint (wrists/back and can only ride for a few hours). Yeah, I don't need a bike that can do 180 up and down I-25- LOL It was fun to ride a couple years ago but my taste has changed. :)
I really am enjoying the almost as light as a dirt bike feel and stance. Eventually I will do something to upgrade the seat.

BTW that R1 is a beauty!

Reactions: Horsman

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really am enjoying the almost as light as a dirt bike feel and stance. Eventually I will do something to upgrade the seat.

BTW that R1 is a beauty!
Thanks -- Dirtbike feel... Now don't get all crazy and take it to Rampart !!! LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts