Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has 1,200 miles on it, and I've always kept my boots away from the bike on the outter part of the pegs- I never checked what was there and didn't want to touch anything hot or moving. Today I was riding (upper Tajunga) and I repositioned my feet and noticed there are plates that I can put my ankles against. It adds some stability with the extra grip point. Anyway, I thought that was really cool and I felt stupid for never noticing before.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Lol... your feelings are correct!

Are you referring to the heel plates, built in to the stock pegs of all motorcycles to stop your heel from being touched by the swingarm? :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
i ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs - my ankles don't touch the plates. on the right side there's a small guard by the exhaust outlet, but on the left side sometimes the heel of my boot does touch the swingarm.
Same here, freaked me out on the first ride because I assumed my heel was hitting the chain guard, which is close to the moving chain, blah blah blah- but then I see light rub off on the swing arm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I normally ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs too. But I was really moving and had to put the balls of my feet in front of the pegs to keep from getting pushed back. I recommend you guys try it, your toes will be pointed more down. Not really a casual riding position.

Foot Position? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com

8 Great Beginner Riding Habits | Best Beginner Motorcycles
I don't understand your comment about foot position......putting the balls of your feet in front of the peg to keep from getting blown back. I've been at 176 MPH indicated at Road Atlanta with the balls of my feet on the pegs (proper foot position) and wasn't blown back. As your speed increases, keep your feet in the CORRECT position, but slide back on the seat a bit and tuck your upper body down. It is a really bad habit to ride with your feet hanging down...especially when it comes time to lean the bike into a corner.

Also, good foot position involves not only riding with the ball of your foot on the peg, but also "rotating"your heel into the bike (heelguards, swingarm, etc.) when you are sliding off the seat and getting your upper body down and going into (leaning) a corner. That foot position helps stabilize you on the bike and also allows you to keep a very loose grip on the bars. I'll try to post a good picture tonight when I get to my home computer.

·
Registered
554 Posts
These plates are the most worn spot on my bike at this point. My heels are touching there often especially when I'm gripping the tank with my knees. IMG_0029.jpg IMG_0030.jpg

·
Registered
768 Posts
The eyelets on my lace-up work boots scratch the heck out the Tenere's heel guards. Not so much the FZ's. A Scotch brite pad fixes 'em right up, though.
heel guard 001.jpg heel guard 002.jpg

PS: Trivia. Can anyone tell me what's unique about my Tenere's heel guards?
Hint: I got really bored one day.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I've had my race boots get caught on the heel guards before (not on the FZ). Either the armour or the zipper flap or something catches on the back edge of the guards. If possible, on some of my bikes, I've bent the guards in so I can turn my heel in more when cornering to avoid twisting my knee.

·
Super Moderator
4,353 Posts
you can stick some vinyl on the swingarm to protect it. i just used some clear vinyl film i had lying around.
I too noticed a wear mark on the swingarm and applied a small square of mat finish vinyl wrap to keep the swingarm looking new.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't understand your comment about foot position......putting the balls of your feet in front of the peg to keep from getting blown back. I've been at 176 MPH indicated at Road Atlanta with the balls of my feet on the pegs (proper foot position) and wasn't blown back. As your speed increases, keep your feet in the CORRECT position, but slide back on the seat a bit and tuck your upper body down. It is a really bad habit to ride with your feet hanging down...especially when it comes time to lean the bike into a corner.

Also, good foot position involves not only riding with the ball of your foot on the peg, but also "rotating"your heel into the bike (heelguards, swingarm, etc.) when you are sliding off the seat and getting your upper body down and going into (leaning) a corner. That foot position helps stabilize you on the bike and also allows you to keep a very loose grip on the bars. I'll try to post a good picture tonight when I get to my home computer.
Thanks for the tips. I really just pointed my toes down but I probably wouldn't have to do that if I practice tucking.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
No problems......glad I could help a bit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts