Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week my bike started leaking coolant from the bottom of the water pump housing. I first noticed it when I came back to the bike and seen a few drops on the ground. I made an appointment to get it into the dealer but they can't get it in until the end of next week. It's started to drip more, instead of one or two drops after parking it's a tiny puddle, probably 20 drops. I've stopped riding it but I don't really want to wait a week and a half and then however long it takes for them to order parts to get it fixed, I could be without the bike for 3+ weeks. I'm slightly worried if I remove the cover myself I risk voiding my warranty? I know there is an O Ring around the inside of the cover, and the bottom bolt where it's leaking also has a gasket, I'm guessing one of these is the problem.

Maybe I should just order the parts now just in case? Has anyone else had a similar issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The bolt that holds on the pump could be a little loose and the coolant can leak out of the bolt hole or seal

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
MOre than likely what you are seeing is water leaking from the weep hole.

The weep hole is there to allow water to leak out when the inner water pump shaft seal fails.

Short answer is you need to replace the waterpump seals and gaskets and of course, your coolant. The water pump shaft may also need to be replaced.

If it were my bike, I would take it to the dealer YESTERDAY and let them get the parts on order for it so when they have time next week, they will have the parts and can fix it in one day. It will not hurt the bike to ride it to the dealer as long as you don't run it out of coolant. The total capacity is about 2-3 quarts.

It should all be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

The weep hole is there to allow water to leak out when the inner water pump shaft seal fails.

Short answer is you need to replace the waterpump seals and gaskets and of course, your coolant. The water pump shaft may also need to be replaced.

If it were my bike, I would take it to the dealer YESTERDAY and let them get the parts on order for it so when they have time next week, they will have the parts and can fix it in one day. It will not hurt the bike to ride it to the dealer as long as you don't run it out of coolant. The total capacity is about 2-3 quarts.

for the owners sake, I hope your wrong.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Wouldn't putting fluids in the bike be something they dealer does when assembling the bike? Be careful riding it. If it starts to leak heavier while under pressure of you riding it, it could make for an interesting ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Stopped after work at the dealership explained I had a service booked but if they could just quickly look at it. They had a look and they told me what you thought was wrong, the seal on the water pump appears to be defective. They ordered a new pump assembly and it should be here in time for my scheduled service. I'm going to stop riding the bike, saved me at least a week by stopping in, thanks again.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
nice call motomania, have you seen this before?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
and pretty much every automotive water pump also....:)
Yes that is true as well but on most cars it is fairly difficult to see the weep hole for the waterpump. On bikes drips from the weep hole are pretty obvious unless you are riding a Gen 1 FZ1/R1 because some fool installed the waterpump INSIDE the oil sump on those bikes!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Stopped after work at the dealership explained I had a service booked but if they could just quickly look at it. They had a look and they told me what you thought was wrong, the seal on the water pump appears to be defective. They ordered a new pump assembly and it should be here in time for my scheduled service. I'm going to stop riding the bike, saved me at least a week by stopping in, thanks again.
I hope this is just an oddity and not a sign of things to come. Toyota/Scion had a water pump issue for a while after changing to the long life coolant. I believe they have it fixed now.
Here's a picture of the pump from last years bike show. Nylon gear (OK) Plastic impeller (how very VW of them - hope it doesn't split and fall off like they do in the high mileage golf's). The seal is between the gear and impeller - have to replace the whole housing with it.

I was a little concerned that there was only one bearing on the shaft after looking at the parts pictures

But it does look like they run the shaft into a crankcase bushing, so that should keep the seal aligned.
It does look as though the carbon face seal runs on the back of the impeller??? I hope there is a nice smooth flat steel face there.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Something like the GM Dexcool debacle... I had the problem on my 99 Savanna.

It sucks to have to deal with the BS a meanufacturer should fix free...

(Misspelling deliberate....).

I hope this is just an oddity and not a sign of things to come. Toyota/Scion had a water pump issue for a while after changing to the long life coolant. I believe they have it fixed now.
Here's a picture of the pump from last years bike show. Nylon gear (OK) Plastic impeller (how very VW of them - hope it doesn't split and fall off like they do in the high mileage golf's). The seal is between the gear and impeller - have to replace the whole housing with it.

I was a little concerned that there was only one bearing on the shaft after looking at the parts pictures

But it does look like they run the shaft into a crankcase bushing, so that should keep the seal aligned.
It does look as though the carbon face seal runs on the back of the impeller??? I hope there is a nice smooth flat steel face there.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Anyone ever seen the cam gear in ANY late 60s or newer GM engine?? Same crap.... been done for years...the modern crap is still crap.Honda, Toyota, everyone does it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
RichbinAZ, you forgot to mention about the vw pump failures taking the entire engine with them, as the leak corroded the bearings. This seized the pump, snapping the cambelt and ultimately sending bits of valves everywhere.

Sent via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Called today to make sure parts were in before dropping bike off tomorrow. They aren't on back order and won't be in for another 2 weeks. I don't blame the dealer but this sucks, sunny out and the bike just sitting there bleeding coolant.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hi Jonboy,
I don't have a VW, my cell mate at work does. His didn't seize, it was just the impeller falling off the shaft - but I don't doubt what you are saying
VW, BMW, I'm not impressed with german engineering.
At the moment I am very impressed with our 2 scion Xb's. My sons 2006 has just gone over 100K miles with nothing going wrong in the engine bay - just new plugs and a small adjustment to the engine idle speed.
I just remembered he did have an issue with the AC blower fan stopping - a new (non-Toyota) relay seems to have cured that

Our 2009 is only at 35K, but seems to be doing the same thing - no issues. Can't say that with our previous Honda or Chrysler products.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts