Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I don't mind if this thread gets deleted soon, but I need to let it out!!!
My side stand works fine, I just had a case of "OPERATOR ERROR" tonight!

Arriving at my destination I parked and using my heel, kicked down my side stand, and as soon as I took the weight off of my leg I could tell the bike was going down with me........ Luckily I was still straddling the bike and there has been no real damage. A small scrape on the (engine case??) shifter side of the bike and a bent clutch lever. Mostly just an adrenaline rush and bruised ego!! My first intentions were to put a slider set on this bike but haven't gotten to it. I like to go into a store and pick something up and feel it, look at it and everything, but this bike is so new I was waiting for everything to be available locally. It is time to order them now!

glad I went down with the bike, i feel this really kept the tank from hitting the ground.

In hindsight I realize what happened. I normally lean to the right, kick down the kickstand and look down as I set the bike onto the stand. Tonight I parked close to an object on my right side and was leaning a bit left when I felt the kickstand hit the ground... thinking it was down, we fell.

Time to search the forum for compatible clutch levers!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I feel your pain! Same thing happened with my previous bike.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
730 Posts
I use my toe and keep my foot on the stand as I set her down on it....

Reactions: Niner and DNFDOUG

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Pretty sure FZ8, R1, maybe FZ6 clutch levers fit? I'm sure some companies have FZ-09 specific levers by now too.

There was one time, never to be repeated, that I completely forgot to put the kickstand down at all.... On my girlfriends bike no less :eek: So hey, it could have been worse!

--- Considering how many people on here have aftermarket levers already, I'm sure someone on here has a stock clutch lever they'd be willing to part with

·
Registered
554 Posts
Bummer! I had this happen a long time ago in berkeley in front of about 300 people at the Pete's on fourth street. As an added bonus the footpeg pinned my foot to the ground making it difficult to get out from under the bike and the horn button was mashed into something blaring the horn so EVERYONE was looking at the dumbass under the vfr! LOL!!

Glad it wasn't worse for you!

Daniel

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Here ya go.....

Brake lever: Fits '06~'12 FJR1300, 06~'13 FZ1, '11~'12 FZ8, '04~'09 FZ6, '09~'13 FZ6R, '14 FZ-09

Clutch lever: Fits '04~'13 R1, '05~'13 R6, '09~'13 VMAX, '14 FZ-09

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Engine-off drops happen, parking, while working on the bike, etc.

Another situation to watch out for is coming to a stop on a slope, you put your foot down on the low side and the ground is further away than usual, in blink the bike has some momentum leaning that way....

2 lane highway in the middle of Wyoming 1979, 525 pound GS750 + Windjammer + too much stuff on the way to Alaska. I pull off on to the sloped shoulder... it was like a beached whale. Very lucky though, before I could even start unpacking a couple of guys in a pickup stopped, 3 of us were able to lift it lol. That bike is why I have a 400 pound limit. ;)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Another situation to watch out for is coming to a stop on a slope, you put your foot down on the low side and the ground is further away than usual, in blink the bike has some momentum leaning that way....
Yes, this is one of my least favorite situations at a stop.

·
Registered
883 Posts
My first intentions were to put a slider set on this bike but haven't gotten to it. I like to go into a store and pick something up and feel it, look at it and everything, but this bike is so new I was waiting for everything to be available locally. It is time to order them now!
My FZ-09 has the first set of frame sliders I have ever installed on a motorcycle a couple weeks ago. I would do it again in an instant.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Bummer! I had this happen a long time ago in berkeley in front of about 300 people at the Pete's on fourth street. As an added bonus the footpeg pinned my foot to the ground making it difficult to get out from under the bike and the horn button was mashed into something blaring the horn so EVERYONE was looking at the dumbass under the vfr! LOL!!

Glad it wasn't worse for you!

Daniel
Be happy it was a long time ago, if it happened today someone would have gotten a video and tagged you in it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a similar incident with my gsxr600. Me and a few friends were going for lunch and we pulled in the parking lot and everyone is getting off as usua and i had to be the loser of the bunch. I just didnt quite put the kickstand all the way down so as I was getting off the bike and the weight of bike just made the kickstand go back up and she went down. I felt like such a dork dropping my bike especially since other people were around and I could here people that were smoking outside the restraunt smoking laughing at me. I broke the clutch lever and scuffed up a few spots but what hurt the most was my ego....live and learn I guess

·
Registered
186 Posts
3ofakind,
You might hang on to that bent lever as a spare because if it is made of the same alloy as the Yamaha dirt bikes (at least the TTR125) it can be straightened. My daughter had bent her stock brake lever ( ttr) at least 3 times before I installed some handgaurds for her. The first time it was bent 50-60 degrees so figuring it was toast anyway, I stuck it in a soft jawed vise and slowly straightened it, my Kawi and Suzi break their levers on contact with the ground with a resounding 'ping'. I straightened it 2 mores time and bought a spare 'Genuine Yamaha' lever, the original is still on the bike. Just a thought...Mark

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
My CBR has a kickstand lever in a different spot. I always go for and miss on the FZ. It is going to take me some time to get used to it.

kickstand.jpg

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
You can also heat it a bit with a torch before straightening, should relieve any work hardening. Don't go crazy with the heat though, alum melts quicker than you would expect

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey ya'll, thanks for the feedback. It helps a lot to hear I'm not alone. I also meant to be thankful it wasn't worse or at speed. I know some guys on here are healing from accidents; my situation was not as bad but definitely a reminder to pay attention all the way down.

Vern, thanks for the equals..
And marksterr, I was thinking that too. It is strange the lever almost doesn't look bent but when you pull it in you can tell it is not running straight. Definitely feels like it can be straightened out.

Again guys, the comradery is incredible here and I will wear my shirt proudly!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've done it too. I guess the goal is to only do it ONCE.

Dropped my old '71 CB350 in my driveway. There's just a sick feeling in your stomach when you realize the bike is continuing to lean and is not stopping. In my panic I purposely left my leg between the bike and the cement, wanting to prevent as much damage as possible. Not smart. Pretty much pinned myself under the bike. The footpeg was jamming the leather of my boot against the ground right next to my ankle. Another inch or two and my ankle would have been toast.

I rolled around under the bike, trying to wiggle my leg out, for a good 15 minutes.

THANK GOD no one saw this wrestling match.

Lessons:
Always make sure the kickstand is all the way down.
Never volunteer your body as a pillow for your bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
As much as it sucks, dropping a bike is an experience that almost everone goes through. Consider it a learning experience. Glad it wasn't anything major.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts