Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Dudes,

Just picked up a Rasta Red FZ09. The list of positive superlatives mentioned on this forum was spot on! The bike has torque in large amounts across the power band, excellent ergonomics, and nimble. I tried all three power modes. I prefer B, but found the other settings excellent and not twitchy as some have reported. The only room for improvement is suspension work. This would include the front springs and perhaps a new rear unit. The bike would also benefit from a steering damper, especially at higher speeds above 100 MPH. Replaced the stock tires with Road Pilot 3 before I left the dealership for extra grip on the wet roads.

:cool:

Lookin' forward to visiting the FZ9 board!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Awesome, and congrats!
I hope to finish my shock install today.
I have not dabbled much over 100, but it was a bit nervous when I did. I ride mostly tight bumpy roads and I'm soooo ready for proper damping!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, and congrats!
I hope to finish my shock install today.
I have not dabbled much over 100, but it was a bit nervous when I did. I ride mostly tight bumpy roads and I'm soooo ready for proper damping!
What brand of shock did you get?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a link for the product? I tried searching on Soltec Moto but saw only two non-related messages. Any idea about steering damper models available for the FZ9?

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry I spelled it wrong!....fat fingers n shit:eek:

Nick has his own section here Stoltec Moto

His project bike is here http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/10-fz-09-builds/412-stoltec-project-bike-gonna-long-thread.html

The shock specific thread is here http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/31-stoltec-moto/776-penske-shock-lineup-now-available.html

Lots of good info in these links, I am not aware of any steering dampeners as of yet.
Thanks! I ordered a Penske emulsion rear unit and going with cartridges in the front. The professional suspension chap I saw this afternoon tuned my OEM suspension for my weight. This should work until the new suspension is installed early next year. The front springs sags...way TOO much. I am around 210 lbs with full riding gear. He basically went up two notches on the rear preload from the OEM setting with a quarter turn out from full in on the dampening. Then in the front he compressed the preload on both springs until only 1 line is showing and the damping was a quarter turn from full in. The bike rides much better. The rear sags less and the front is not excessively compressed.

The AirHawk seat cushion now makes the hard seat much better.

For taking care of the wrist while on longer rides, I also suggest the Throttle Rocker as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts