Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was just going along last night, breaking my bike in and actually doing the speed limit for once. I noticed a cop had moved in behind me, said cop turned his lights on. I pull over expecting the worse, the second my bike is off I hear "what's up bro" from the cop. I see he is more interested in looking at the motorcycle than questioning me, he asks if it's a brand new bike and what kind it is, asks if I have an m1. As I start taking my bag off to show him ID he says oh no it's cool bro, have a good night. And leaves. The other cop in the car have me a thumbs up while taking off. No ticket. No forms of ID. Nothing.

to long didn't read?: cop pulls me to check out my bike

·
Registered
151 Posts
Should have asked him for his card, so he could help you out next time you get pulled over and the results are not so favorable!

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
There are plenty of good ones out there....Glad you ran into one of the good guys. The county that I live in have a bunch of county sheriff's that ride...a couple of them even ride sport bikes.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I half think this is awesome, and I half think this is an abuse of cop powers to pull you over. Us normal people can't pull a Bugatti over just to take a look at it.
I'm voting abuse. I'd be pissed (silently) until he drove away. I don't like having my heart in my throat. My last ticket was $280 for not coming to a 100% complete stop at a red light and turning right (with no traffic coming). Obviously I was "in the wrong"...but I don't want that feeling again just for a guy checking out my bike.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was slightly mad when I was pulling away, but then I just brushed it off, no need to fight something you can't control lol

·
Registered
883 Posts
Although not a road pullover, I had a somewhat similar experience. A police officer approached me while fueling my pickup truck with two off-road bikes and lots of other gear loaded in back. He is a Washington D.C. police officer and it turns out he rides both personally and on duty. Apparently his son wanted to starting riding so he struck up a conversation. His approach was very casual and I correctly guessed the off-road bikes were drawing his personal interest, but one sort of wonders for a moment. We then had an interesting conversation about off-road riding and his experiences on D.C. streets.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My best friend since Jr. High days (a long, LONG time!) is a San Francisco police officer. We ride together farily frequently in an often spirited manner, but I don't worry too much about tickets when riding with him. We'll be doing a track day in April at Sears Point. Should be fun.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I had a near-cop experience this weekend. On Sunday, I pull through some major city streets that wrap around a park, I hit both of the green lights, so I can get some decent speed and lean, kind of a fun warm up as I get out of the city (JFK blvd going north to the art museum)...and I check my mirrors and what do I see?...a cop directly behind me! He must have seen me from a side street or something...thank god I didnt pull any recent wheelies, but I definitely was speeding. So I instantly start riding like a nun, so much that it was almost amusing how quickly I calmed down. I come to complete stops, etc etc, and I gradually make my way to the right and split off where the road divides, and the cop doesnt follow...but I was def. shitting bricks for a few minutes. I don't know where the hell that guy came from!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hah! Awesome!

I had a similar experience where I was pulled because a local cop thought it was his buddy (this was on an older KZ550). We had a laugh, he tailed me to the local bike shop where all the cops hung out.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ok, confession time. I never pulled over a bike to check it out, but I did light up a Dodge Viper once on some chicken sh*t "PC" to see if he would run. (Not like my Crown Vic was going to keep up.) He stopped. (dang it) No worries, he just got a verbal warning for no license plate. He had a temp inside that wasn't properly displayed on the vehicle.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Ok, confession time. I never pulled over a bike to check it out, but I did light up a Dodge Viper once on some chicken sh*t "PC" to see if he would run. (Not like my Crown Vic was going to keep up.) He stopped. (dang it) No worries, he just got a verbal warning for no license plate. He had a temp inside that wasn't properly displayed on the vehicle.
Make sure you pull any FZ09's out in the wild!

·
Registered
666 Posts
They say the northern part of CA is like a whole different state. Sounds like it. Cops down here... Ah, nevermind.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Billy, whats your take one bikes pulling harmless wheelies on the street, do you "look the other way", throw the book at them?...etc. It must be hard to separate your personal feelings, etc. from what the state is telling you that you have to do for your job

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i used to work at a golf pro shop and caddy at a local course that had a few cop outings. I was pretty friendly with some of the cops there - some were good guys - others were assholes - as with any group of people.

I pulled out of work one night and a cop pulled me over immediately. Tells me to get out of the car and put my hands up - i was damn near shitting my pants when he threw me on the hood of the car and cuffed me. I was screaming what the hell is going on, what did i do. Turned out it was one of the guys I caddied for and he was just messing with me.

I was in high school at the the time so after i cleaned my pants i laughed, but looking back at it now, that was kind of messed up on the cops part.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Billy, whats your take one bikes pulling harmless wheelies on the street, do you "look the other way", throw the book at them?...etc. It must be hard to separate your personal feelings, etc. from what the state is telling you that you have to do for your job
Firstly, I'm retired now. I hung it up last spring after 26 years. I didn't mind a little stunting if guys did it in the right setting. Name of the game with me was safety.

I had a guy on a bike run from me once. I let him go. It started with a fairly minor traffic violation. It wasn't worth someone getting killed (most likely him) in a high speed chase over something small.

We had a local stunt team up here, and they did "most" their crazy stuff in parking lots. If you search for Arctic Attack they have some videos on YouTube still.

Believe it or not, I only wrote one motorcyclist a ticket in my career and that was because he had no license at all. I had a motto. If you got a ticket from me, you earned it. (and you knew it)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
When I first got my Challenger, I got followed like that. Same deal here about driving like a grandma. Eventually, he just took off. I was so nervous that I stalled the car like twice making sure I didn't spin the tires.

Reactions: GaryC

·
Registered
663 Posts
One more tid-bit. When you're driving a marked police car on the freeway, it's almost a no win situation. If you drive the speed limit on the highway, everyone piles up behind you and you look like an Indy pace car with 200 cars following.

If you step it a little an try to keep the flow moving by going 5-10 over, it's only a matter of time before some upstanding citizen calls in and complains. I hated driving on the highway for that reason. Much easier in my pickup or on a bike.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
People actually call in reporting 5 & 10 mph over the speed limit???
I routinely see cops driving 90+....I thought they are allowed to do whatever

1 - 20 of 25 Posts