Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Senior Citizen:eek:

Really a senior citizen passed me today about 2 hours ago. I was rolling along my river road ride and had to pass a few cagers (no passing zones on this route at all) So I thought I was going at a really good pace and I get to my spot that is perfect for passing its right after a stop with a long straight away. So I pass and she was behind me and kept right up with me. After I pass I get back in the lane and she laid on the throttle and took off. I though it was a guy when the bike was behind me but as she passed I could tell it was a she with long grey hair flying out from her skull cap helmet.

I couldn't believe it. I was like you go girl. Then, I had to get on it and follow along to see if she was just making a statement by passing me or if she was a "rider"...Well she could ride and ride well on a big Harley nonetheless. I was in awe that she was taking turns and passing cars like they were meant to be passed. I followed along and we came to a stop sign where she motioned me to come beside her. She said I want to apologize for passing you like that After I did it i though it may have been rude. I said no worries i was not offended at all in fact I am impressed on how well you ride. She smiled and rode away!

That was the first Harley rider that has ever made an impression on me. So that's pretty cool.

Oh maybe this should have been posted in the ride report I'm not sure, but Im sure I'll find out!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Your MAN card is officially revoked.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Riders come in all shapes and sizes..they also ride all types of bikes....good for you for realizing this today...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Good for you for not shaming her. I would not have been able to resist. As soon as she passed me I would have gone right past her.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
My wife has a shirt that says on the back....
"I will not pass boys"
"I will not pass boys"
"I will not pass boys".....

Like hell I won't!

Second thing is.........I've seen a lot of Harley riders going through Deals Gap and most of them I want to strangle....they don't have a clue about how to ride, especially in the mountains, but every once in a while, I'll get behind one that impresses me on how well they ride, especially for a heavy bagger. I remember one day a few years back, the wife and I were out on the ST1300 and headed through some twisty stuff on the way to Hot Springs, N.C. I came upon a Harley guy on an ElectraGlide Classic, kind of just poking along enjoying the day. I normally will follow for a bit just to make sure they know I'm back there so that I don't scare the poop out of them when I pass. Well this guy sees me back there and starts wicking up the pace, so I follow. He wicks it up some more, I follow. Finally, I guess he gets to his comfort level as far as speed and backs off the throttle. I followed for a little bit then finally passed him and gave him a big thumbs up when I went by. That feller could ride!

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
Many years ago, I was on a group ride with a half dozen folks up near Deals Gap. We were rolling along on Hwy28 and came up on a couple riding a Harley bagger pulling onto the road from a small motel. They gassed it and the chase was on. Our lead rider was hesitant to pass as it was a bit out of his comfort zone and he was thinking of the other five of us. Well, we followed that pair for a good ways at an excellent pace. More than a few times, the HD would scrape a bag here and there, but no real drama...just stellar riding. When we pulled into the Crossroads of Time and dismounted we walked over to the couple and discovered that it was two guys! They mentioned something about The Gay Gap Rally.
700 lbs of bike, 450 lbs of beef and mad skills.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My stepdad has a gigantic Harley mammoth something or other, whatever they made that looks like a gold wing with the fairing mounted on the frame and was only produced for like '11-'12. And that dude absolutely hauls the freakin mail on that thing, barrels through turns like it's a supermoto. Just unreal. He's been riding since dinosaurs were eating/screwing each other and is a pretty wild dude anyway, but I've rode that thing and just can't believe how fast he hits twisties on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A fast rider will be fast on anything, that's for sure. Good for both you and her for being cool about the passing and everything, some people get way too worked up about that kind of thing.

Reactions: deadduck357

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have a friend of almost 30 years that has a Dyna Wide Glide ( 1994 with 60k ) and he can almost stay with me most of the time. Another with a Heritage Softail and a Buell that leaves me behind ( friggin' psycho passes between cars on the double yellow ). But they are the exception to the rule. In a group my wife says they are boring and they want to stop at every bar. One of them got a new dresser so he was leading and I was in the back coming down a hill from Carter Lake and I got passed by a bicycle because he was going so slow. Talk about revoking the man card.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Watch Killboy's Gold Wing video of the Gap, talking about mad skills. My wife's name is Margaret, and Marge has a special place in our heart.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
We were at the local Harley dealer on Saturday. Can't make this stuff up. There was a couple on a big Harley, the man was in full leathers, leather pants and motorcycle jacket, but with a ton of Harley accessories and chains, like it was Halloween. His wife was wearing full leathers, flashy stuff. He looked to be 90, she must have been mid 80's. I thought that was awesome.

The people we ride with are mostly Harley riders and they are skilled riders. I do my best to keep up with them! Riding a Harley does not mean that you are less skilled. Now, I've seen some embarrassing Harley riders. These are usually fifty year old guys who buy a big Harley as their first bike. Scary stuff.

·
Registered
957 Posts
We were at the local Harley dealer on Saturday. Can't make this stuff up. There was a couple on a big Harley, the man was in full leathers, leather pants and motorcycle jacket, but with a ton of Harley accessories and chains, like it was Halloween. His wife was wearing full leathers, flashy stuff. He looked to be 90, she must have been mid 80's. I thought that was awesome.

The people we ride with are mostly Harley riders and they are skilled riders. I do my best to keep up with them! Riding a Harley does not mean that you are less skilled. Now, I've seen some embarrassing Harley riders. These are usually fifty year old guys who buy a big Harley as their first bike. Scary stuff.
Cruisers by their very nature can't perform nearly as well as sportier bikes. However on the street most people don't push the bikes hard enough for the differences from bike to bike to matter. It's all about who is the most suicidal =P lol

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Re. Harley riders...now I understand. "50% of all single-vehicle bike accidents involve alcohol." (NYSDOT)
I've been on two group-rides with this bunch...the majority aren't riders...they're drinkers who use a bike to get to the next bar. Honestly, the Harley-cult-ure has turned me off.
Sadly, the group rides are generally meant to raise funds for whatever cause. And yet, these folks exploit these events so as to make a lot of noise and catch a buzz.
The majority aren't genuine motorcycle enthusiasts! They are (like most squids) boys and girls...irresponsible. :eek:ccasion14:

PS
And...99.9% of the 1200 Harley's ridden with this season...are squids (ride without gear).

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
And, you are generalizing and this isn't always accurate.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
And, you are generalizing and this isn't always accurate.
Agreed...not all. So, I use the terms "majority" and "most". Sadly, this is accurate...in my experience and statistically.
Sorry, don't mean to be anal. Just had my fill and felt like saying so here. :rolleyes:

PS
I'm grateful to hear that this lady cared to apologize and can ride well. Nice!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Great topic, and I'll point to my own mother. Shes old now, and has MS.....but, during the 70's and 80's, she was a rider.

She started on Kawasaki 175, enduro bike for the time. Her last bike was a 1979 Yamaha xs 11. As far as riding in a group, she was always the best rider in the bunch. She passed any of them, anytime, especially in corners.

She was a great athlete, truth be told. Baseball, bowling, even darts. She could not tell you anything about technique, and new even less about the equipment..she was a rider.

I was just a kid, but when it came time to ride somewhere on the street , I rode on the back of her bike, not my dads..kind of an unwritten thing for my own safety.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Re. Harley riders...now I understand. "50% of all single-vehicle bike accidents involve alcohol." (NYSDOT)
I've been on two group-rides with this bunch...the majority aren't riders...they're drinkers who use a bike to get to the next bar. Honestly, the Harley-cult-ure has turned me off.
Sadly, the group rides are generally meant to raise funds for whatever cause. And yet, these folks exploit these events so as to make a lot of noise and catch a buzz.
The majority aren't genuine motorcycle enthusiasts! They are (like most squids) boys and girls...irresponsible. :eek:ccasion14:

PS
And...99.9% of the 1200 Harley's ridden with this season...are squids (ride without gear).
Nice rant, I especially like the way you don't let anything like facts get in your way.....

if you spent a few minutes on Google, you would find that sport bikes are way more likely to be involved in an accident than cruiser bikes are....

what it sounds like is your group is just really stupid....so rather than lump all Harley riders into that group, maybe you need to find new friends

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the way i figure it, the really old riders have been riding for decades and tend to have accumulated a good amount of experience and skills. but also, they're old so death is around the corner for them anyway - may as well die doing something they love. ride fast, die free.

whatever the reason, it's too bad the same thing doesn't hold true for senior car drivers, they're so slow as to be dangerous.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts