Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1256 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so as of yesterday i have been hearing a ticking noise from my bike i can hear it when its just idling and its much louder when the engine is under a load i can hear it best on the right side and not sure what it is i took it to the dealer and had them look at it but the old guy could not hear it at idle and thought i was talking about the clutch basket which is not the noise i hear then he tells me its probably a loose valve which is good for more power so they said just ride it but it does not sound normal to me its really irritating when im accelarating what do you guys think , i know i can be a little weird about noises i think one small tick and its going to fall apart but it dosent sound right to me :confused:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
What kind of fuel are you running? Hopefully it is something that simple.
On that note: Make sure the fueling/pump station has individual hoses and nozzles; not just one hose and nozzle for 3 different grades of fuel. With a single nozzle and hose, when you go to pump premium you are going to get about a gallon of whatever the last person got and that's more than likely going to be standard/low grade fuel. On a single hose station whatever is in the hose from the nozzle down to the pump is gonna be full of the previous fuel. In a cage with a 12-15 or more gallon tank you will probably not notice but in a motorcycle you will - especially one with only a 3.7 gallon tank.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On that note: Make sure the fueling/pump station has individual hoses and nozzles; not just one hose and nozzle for 3 different grades of fuel. With a single nozzle and hose, when you go to pump premium you are going to get about a gallon of whatever the last person got and that's more than likely going to be standard/low grade fuel. On a single hose station whatever is in the hose from the nozzle down to the pump is gonna be full of the previous fuel. In a cage with a 12-15 or more gallon tank you will probably not notice but in a motorcycle you will - especially one with only a 3.7 gallon tank.
hmm now that i think about it the ones i go to usually have a one hoser well 2 one for fuel and one for diesel so guess ill make sure i fine a 3 hoser and we will see what happens thanks for the input guys i got kinda irritated at a new bike making noises even my 88k100 dont

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
hmm now that i think about it the ones i go to usually have a one hoser well 2 one for fuel and one for diesel so guess ill make sure i fine a 3 hoser and we will see what happens thanks for the input guys i got kinda irritated at a new bike making noises even my 88k100 dont
Don't blame you, I would be also.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
The cam chain tensioner is on the right side also.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Curious, how did you break it in and do you have a mechanic's stethoscope?
i broke it on a twisty road by where i live in 3 gear pulls and city driving and just a oil change at 600 im at 1075 now. and no i dont have one not sure what it is either lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if it's happening in idle, have someone else sit on it idling, put on some ear plugs, and hunt around the bike with your ears and see if you can narrow it down (if you haven't already). Not much more I can offer...
im just going to get some new gas and see if it keeps doing it if so ill hunt it down then

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Really doubt that its the gas.Gotta be valve components.Get em to check clearances.
the service guy said it wouldnt be worth it to do that right now because in anohter 1500 miles i can do it and they wouldnt be able to get it closer or something i dont know a ton about internal engine stuff so i just said ok haha or maybe that was for the tb sync thing

W

·
0 Posts
The cam chain tensioner is on the right side also.
Good one; there's a lot of stuff beating itself to death inside any engine so in all likelihood there is nothing at all to worry about. A lot of the guys who bought the new CB1100 got worried about a similar ticking sound at idle. That's an air-cooled engine and they all do it, no problem, but some engines are just naturally noisier than others. It's under warranty, you took it in, you have done right, but it's probably normal.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Valve or camchain noise won't get louder under load, would have to be something from the piston down. Could it be an exhaust leak at the header? That would do what you are describing. To check, stick a hose in your ear and hold it near the header pipes at the head, like a stethoscope.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I also have a slight tick, I dont hear it at iddle though. Its usualy In 5th or 6th gear for some reason and its not all the time, just did first oil change at 592 miles. Will see if it goes away after some time, if not its going back to get checked out. Also great point with the fuel pumps I will try and locate a station with individual pumps and see if that helps.

1 - 20 of 1256 Posts