Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up the bike today, got the reflash done, wiring harness recall done, and a state inspection.

I was hesitant about the reflash though and hope I don't regret it. I never minded the "twitchiness" of the ride modes and liked the on/off thing. Hopefully the engine braking is still there.

Well, picking it up later, so I'll find out.

Did you guys lose any engine braking with the reflash? I hope I get the same bike back!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Let us kno how it feels.. Thinking about doing the same on my 15. Don't really mind the throttle feel either

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had a friend that got the updated reflash on his 14 and he said it didn't do much if anything.:confused: I opted for Nels at 2wheeldyno to reflash my ECU, and talk about a ride changer! I haven't yet found anything to complain about, and I have been riding it to work every day for three weeks. My wife, who is oblivious to most changes, even said what a difference! ( I appreciate that when we are 2-up that she no longer smashes my "boys" into the tank when I decel!)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Your a bit light for me to compare with but I want to hear the results anyways. I expect more engine braking on std and wanted none on A .B I used in the rain and wetter roads and really liked the feeling approaching a set of lights or needing to stop. The throttle space between speed limit and 5 over is to close. If it could be more intuitive like hold speed steady if that's what I am trying to do , then on a big twist respond big. I have avoided the surgery so far.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Congratulations Jen! It appears Yammy is doing right by you -- it's like your bike is being enhanced.:D

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Did the headlight recall, but no reflash on my 14 09 yet. Not sure I want it if it kills the engine braking either??? I am use to how the throttle responds and don't want it overly tamed down, lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I beleive Nels has taken over for Nick at Stoltec in doing the reflash, if I understand the situation correctly. I also like that the see-saw effect has gone away with the throttle. They really did their homework and got it right on the reflash.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Did the headlight recall, but no reflash on my 14 09 yet. Not sure I want it if it kills the engine braking either??? I am use to how the throttle responds and don't want it overly tamed down, lol.

Apparently there are quite a few similarities between you and Jen. Can you enlighten us on some others.....????????:p

·
Registered
34 Posts
The reflash doesn't take away from the throttle response when accelerating, infact it is enhanced due to making the A/F mix a little richer. it just takes away the wrist fracturing "chop" when you let off.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just picked up the bike. I didn't notice a whole lot of difference. B mode is B mode, even more tame. Standard mode is like B mode to me but instead of revving at 4k to 5k when riding around town (35-50 mph) it revs 5k to 6k. I don't think the transition in Standard mode is as abrupt. I kind of liked the abruptness though. It definitely has that "switch" like way about it though that the B mode doesn't have. A mode to me is pretty much Standard mode, I don't notice much of a difference. I only rode it ten miles home, so we'll have to take it out to see if anything is really different. I think I would have skipped out on the reflash, but that's only based on ten miles, which I've learned doesn't mean a lot.

Instead of replacing the CCT, they adjusted it some how.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The reflash doesn't take away from the throttle response when accelerating, infact it is enhanced due to making the A/F mix a little richer. it just takes away the wrist fracturing "chop" when you let off.
I don't think mine ever really did that much. They guy in Yamaha said that he saw it more with other FZ-09's. Mine was okay before the reflash.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The factory reflash does not affect engine braking. The only thing it affects is the way that the throttle response is intermittent and unpredictable in standard and a modes below 5000 rpm. It does not affect b mode and it does not affect the way the throttle responds at higher rpm in standard and a modes. Personally I went with the vcyclenut flash instead which is way better and even boosts power delivery over stock.

the reason for the flash is because at lower rpm in standard and a modes if you let off the throttle it wouldn't taper off like it should. Rather it would cut it completely. And if you rolled back on after that happened it would immediately switch the throttle back on. Whether you personally liked the feeling of this abruptness or not is irrelevant because it made the bike extremely unsafe because of how it complicated throttle control in cornering. You had to keep the throttle above 5k rpm at all times when cornering in these modes and if you ever let it dip below that the choppiness could make the bike suddenly lose power mid corner and then jump back on it which is bad.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, since you just got the bike, you probably ought to put some miles on it to appreciate its little quirks. It should become more apparent what you will want from the bike. If you end up wanting to get the ECU reflashed definately do your research and definately talk with Nels at 2wheelDyno. He's a great resource, and knows his tuning!

Reactions: Jen

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I might have to see if Yamaha has a demo days coming up here, then I can ride a 2015 09 and see how the factory ECU flash compares to the old 2014 ECU flash.

I can see getting a custom ECU flash if you have upgraded your exhaust system, or if you want some of the custom features you can get with a custom flash. ie. crusie, or having it come on in a specific mode, or customize the modes more to your liking.

I am curious to know what Yamaha in the UK is doing when you can buy an Akrapovic Titanium Full Exhaust System with the bike. Are they doing anything to the ECU to match the Akra??? or do they get a third party to remap the ECU's?

MT-09 / ABS 2015 - Motorcycles - Yamaha Motor UK

mt-09-akra.jpg

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Apparently there are quite a few similarities between you and Jen. Can you enlighten us on some others.....????????:p
What are you getting at here??

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The factory reflash does not affect engine braking. The only thing it affects is the way that the throttle response is intermittent and unpredictable in standard and a modes below 5000 rpm. It does not affect b mode and it does not affect the way the throttle responds at higher rpm in standard and a modes. Personally I went with the vcyclenut flash instead which is way better and even boosts power delivery over stock.

the reason for the flash I'd because at lower rpm in standard and a modes if you let off the throttle it wouldn't taper off like it should. Rather it would cut it completely. And if you rolled back on after that happened it would immediately switch the throttle back on. Whether you personally liked the feeling of this abruptness or not is irrelevant because it m a decent the bike extremely unsafe because of how it complicated throttle control in cornering. You had to keep the throttle above 5k rpm at all times when cornering in these modes and if you ever let it dip below that the chopcould make the bike suddenly lose power mid corner and then jump back on it which is bad.

That could be it. I'm usually at around 6k in A or Standard. I'll use B mode for
stop and go stuff.

·
Registered
957 Posts
That could be it. I'm usually at around 6k in A or Standard. I'll use B mode for
stop and go stuff.
Ever since I got the flash from vcyclenut I haven't really touched anything but A mode unless the roads are wet, then I'll switch to B. STD I'll probably use when I hit up the track in July.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I had the yammie flash done on my last MT, then had an aftermarket flash done a month later.
The yammie flash makes it a bit smoother in the lower rev range, a bit less twitchy, in low speed corners and stuff. An aftermarket flash makes it fugging amazing.
I've got to get round to flashing my new one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts