Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Awhile ago I took my bike in for its first service. From factory the oil filter was striped on to the nipple . Fixed by the dealer . So my new mirrors arrived today and when I took off the right mirror filings fell all over . Looked inside and yes it is striped from factory. What to do ? Fix it myself or more than likely fight with the dealer? And anyone know the thread patterned or the best fix for this with out replacing the whole unit ?that would be a great help Thank you

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The base of the right hand mirror where it screws into the brake bracket/master cylinder is a reverse thread, to remove it you turn it clockwise.

If you tried to remove it like most fasteners by turning it counter clockwise you stripped it. Good luck repairing left hand metric threads, and a new master cylinder isn't cheap.

You are putting new mirrors on? What threads to they have, are they both normal right hand threads? If so you can get a thread insert for normal threads.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I didn't strip it I noticed the thread when taking it off gingerly not wanting to put any marks on the factory ones. I'm taking them off but I still want them to stay mint. I will call the dealer tomorrow . The manager at the service was good to me in regards to the oil filter waved the 1st service fees. I have my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If you look at a picture of a 09 still in the crate from the factory, you will see that the handlebars and mirrors are not installed. The mirrors would have been installed by the dealership that prepped the bike for sale.

I'm guessing that they are going to blame you and your removal process... since it's reverse threaded and all.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you look at a picture of a 09 still in the crate from the factory, you will see that the handlebars and mirrors are not installed. The mirrors would have been installed by the dealership that prepped the bike for sale.

I'm guessing that they are going to blame you and your removal process... since it's reverse threaded and all.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
Yes now that you mention it you are correct. I will call them tomorrow fingers crossed. Thx

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If all else fails, probably cheaper to get yourself a set of bar end mirrors than to try and tap and repair reverse metric thread...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Agree Bar End Mirrors are great, but they require New Bar Ends too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hopefully I'm wrong.
Yes now that you mention it you are correct. I will call them tomorrow fingers crossed. Thx

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Hopefully I'm wrong.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the multiple posts. Dunno why.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sorry for the multiple posts. Dunno why.
I am seeing this happening more often.

As a proof of concept, I bought some cheap bar end mirrors that could clamp on to the stock bar end weights. I really like the mirrors on the bar end. Much better visibility. I just purchased a pair of CRG Arrow mirrors and RhinoMoto Bar End Mirror Mount for $235.

·
Registered
277 Posts
See this is how the ball gets rolling...

Now that the threads in the master cylinder are damaged you can just swap over to a radial M/C, and then get new brake lines, bar ends and mirrors. There problem solved...haha and for only a few hundred bucks more!

Hopefully they'll hook you up and you don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
No I didn't strip it I noticed the thread when taking it off gingerly not wanting to put any marks on the factory ones. I'm taking them off but I still want them to stay mint. I will call the dealer tomorrow . The manager at the service was good to me in regards to the oil filter waved the 1st service fees. I have my fingers crossed.
Your mirrors gingerly came off?... I had to man handle the hell out of mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts