Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is some sort of compulsive behavior but so what. I often look at details. Some I like some I do not. The shift rod is one of them (now black). The ugly label on the tank (it's gone). The all black engine has a chrome bracket by the drain tubes (now black). Chrome hose clamps stick out (now black). The center of the radiator cap silver (now black). clipped on loose tools under seat (tape stops those rattles) ........ Now I can sleep better....lol

painted.jpg

·
Registered
275 Posts
You can get rid of one of those drain hoses if you lose the evap system and Tee the fuel tank hoses together. Maybe compulsive too, but have to get rid of the unneccessary clutter. R5C, my first real streetbike, about 1980, led to my RZ350, in the garage right now.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of going "blacked out", except for the forks and wheels. What did you use to paint/coat the items you listed?

Also, what did you use to remove the label on the tank? The darn thing just keeps chipping away. Did you use goo-gone and a plastic scraper?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also, what did you use to remove the label on the tank? The darn thing just keeps chipping away. Did you use goo-gone and a plastic scraper?
Couple seconds with a hair dryer gives you a clean peel.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I tape around it with painters tape, soak with wd-40, let sit for 5 minutes, wipe dry, and use a hair dryer as I peel it back. Yamaha stickers are the worst. Oh, WD-40 is extremely flammable.

·
Registered
340 Posts
There was a time when Wd-40 was very flammable.I use to use it as starting fluid.
Not any more.Pretty tame stuff now.The good news is it's not so hard on paint and plastics.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been toying with the idea of going "blacked out", except for the forks and wheels. What did you use to paint/coat the items you listed?

paint= flat black spray paint. removed shift rod sprayed it. then I sprayed some in cap then used small paint brush to go over the small items like radiator cap center, small bracket under drain tubes and hose clamps. Not real durable but easy to touch up if I need to..

I used my finger nail to start the label then slowly peal it off. It was about 85 degrees. The remaining glue I used goo-gone on. then I waxed it afterwards. I always keep the bike stickers on the bike so the tank sticker went under the seat on the left plastic panel toward the front just ahead of the battery. There was enough glue on it to stick there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts