Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are having a hard time deciding between two bikes, maybe we can help. Post up your dilemma and maybe we can help you out!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Almost bought another Honda 919. I've put about 20,000 miles on a 06 and 07. GREAT bike! I can't say enough good things about the 919.
Decided to go with the FZ-09 for something a little different. That and the fact that it is 70lbs lighter, better ergos, has about the same torque, and more horsepower. Ya know it's going to sound better than just about anything.

Also had it narrowed down the the Ninja 1000. There are some killer deals on them, but is about 90lbs heavier. I'm at the point in my life that "light is right".

"Super pumped" about getting one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
And a very nicely set-up 2013 ZX636 that is for sale at SVM..

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I cannot decide between the FZ09 and the Aprilia Shiver
I just sold a DorsoDuro to get a FZ 09. The Aprilia that I had was a great bike, and I enjoyed it a lot, but I honestly think the new FZ is just going to be head and shoulders above it. More power, more torque, less filling and still tastes great (huh?), and there are a ton more Yamaha dealers around than there are for the Ape!

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I had some thoughts about the Z1000 also, back when I was trying to decide on a bike last summer and was going to buy a FZ8...or maybe a Z1000 or a ???? Then the Dorso came along. Now, a year later and the new FZ 09 is coming out and I'm really having a rough time waiting this one out. I want what I want, when I want it! :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
i'm not after the power so much as the nimble-ness of the FZ. my conflicting bike is the Triumph street triple R. i really liked my triumph. the 675 has the SS brake lines, bigger rotors, flyscreen, 10lbs lighter, BUT smaller dispacement making the torque/power at higher RPMs. the useable low end is what draws me to the FZ. i wouldn't have to wring the throttle out so much on mtn roads. thoughts?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know much about much, but it seems like the Yamaha triple is going to be a torque monster. Again, I reserve my right to revise my statements for when I actually get to ride the thing, or at the very least look at a dyno pull. But from all the press so far, "they" keep talking about the amount of torques that they will be able to get out of this thing. To me that means that you will be able to run mountain roads with fewer revs and pull out of the hard corners like a freight train.

I have a torquey WRX for my 4 wheeled transport, and that is my favorite part of it! It has so much usable torque down low.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Duke is a really good looking bike. I just dunno if I like the headlight.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just saw a Aprilia Shiver yesterday at lunch, and that thing is a sweet looking bike in person. Anyone own or previously owned one? What are they like?

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
The Duke is a really good looking bike. I just dunno if I like the headlight.
Just sold a 2010 Duke. It was the most fun I have had up to 100mph, on any bike, except for maybe a Kawi H1 500 triple. The new Duke has more HP and torque than my '10 did, but not the suspension or wheels. Traded it for a KLR650 for off road DS riding. Dukes are fantastic motorcycles, period. tp dd50

I still am seriously leaning towards an FZ, when available....tp

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guess that just means that I will have to find one to swing a leg over! I need a new friend!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had two dukes. The II and a super duke. The duke II is first and foremost a heavy dirt bike. It's uncomfy and will vibrate the license plate in half. (Mine did as did my friends). The superduke had the worst fueling of any efi bike I've been on. I had the updated dealer mapping which helped, but it was terrible at low speeds. Cool bike, but for the money, I'd look for a used second generation tuono. Better bike in every way IMO.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Reactions: Motodunner

·
Registered
139 Posts
Looks like one could buy two FZ's for the cost of the 1290 SDR. Read somewhere around 200HP and 400lbs. That's killer for a naked bike. My desktop pic...click pic to enlarge...

ktm-superduke-1290-prototype-2012-2.jpg

·
Registered
188 Posts
.... i cannot decide between the FZ09 ... as soon as i can!!! ... and waiting a little while to get some large debt/bills paid off .. so my wife doesnt tear my 'package' off and bury it in the yard for the dog to find!! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 288 Posts