Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Both Penske and ohlins are cheaper. No thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I thought long and hard about getting the Hyperpro shock. By many accounts it's a good brand. But not being able to adjust the preload without spending extra $$$ on the remote adjuster priced it above the base Ohlins. In practical terms if the preload is custom set - as is the case with Hyperpro - for your weight and riding style, and you (like me) rarely have a pillion or do track days then I guess it doesn't really matter that much if you can't adjust it easily. But I know that not being able to adjust it, regardless of whether I actually wanted to or not, would just wind me up. Also here in Thailand I've no idea about after sales support for Hyperpro (or Penske), whereas Ohlins has a good set up here. So Ohlins it is (been or back order since beginning of July!).

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm also considering a Hyperpro, and the preload doesn't really bother me.

IMO preload is something you fiddle with for the first day or two, and then you don't touch it ever again (assuming your weight doesn't change drastically).

·
Registered
165 Posts
On that Hyperpro you would need to remove the shock to adjust it. Why would you not buy something else instead?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'm also considering a Hyperpro, and the preload doesn't really bother me.

IMO preload is something you fiddle with for the first day or two, and then you don't touch it ever again (assuming your weight doesn't change drastically).
But why would you even consider it when it's no better than the Ohlins which is $100 cheaper? It's not on the level of the Penske double or triple clickers. It's a basic De Carbon design which is really no different from the Ohlins.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Because I don't live in the US, and the prices are the other way around here :)

I'm looking at a hyperpro street box (rear + front) for aprox. 665$.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Where do you live?

Fairly sure you can buy the Maxton, Ohlins or Nitron anywhere in Europe for the same money as the Hyperpro. Or a Wilbers with remote reservoir.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Also FYI depending on where you live in some markets (like Italy) it seems there are also base model Ohlins shocks (the YA335 model which I've ordered) - basically produced for racing applications - that DO NOT have preload adjustment on the bottom of the shock. I checked this with Ohlins before I ordered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts