Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some commercials and youtube videos for this kind of thing lately...Rust-Oleum has a version: NeverWet that you can probably find in hardware stores:
Rust-Oleum® NeverWet® Liquid Repelling Treatment

Is anyone using this kind of product on their bikes to keep them clean? I remember how filthy (and hard to clean) my wheels would get. I bet spraying this everywhere except the chain and rotors would be awesome to keep the bike spotless. They even have a version for fabrics that you could use for your jacket/gear.

I'm still curious for any real-life reports though

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
looks like it has some bad reviews on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Oleum-274232-...sr_1_2_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

...must research further

here is another brand: http://www.hydrobead.com/#!consumer/component_41229

and another one, expensive but looks good:
http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Ever-40...8&qid=1405285230&sr=8-5&keywords=ultraeverdry

yeah, from what I can tell, all of these products leave a milky or hazy finish on the surface, and is not something you'd want to spray all over your bike. It is definitely a neat technology though

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I think the best anyone has managed so far is a translucent finish. Which could probably look pretty cool on the wheels actually, but it's definitely not clear. I don't think they're extremely abrasion resistant either.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I want to know if putting it on my undertail will keep it from getting dirty. The fabric stuff I have put on boots and it's kinda hazy looking...but works a treat.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Looks like an upgraded version of Scotch Guard. I wonder how long it lasts... that would be the deciding factor for me.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like an upgraded version of Scotch Guard. I wonder how long it lasts... that would be the deciding factor for me.
At least the neverwet product seems to rub off easily...don't know about the other ones.

I read up on Scotch Guard too...which seems to be excellent for fabrics...but apparently is not good for rigid surfaces as it makes ugly spots and marks

There are always rainX type products too, but they work differently (not as well) and I think only stick to glass?...not 100% sure about that

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I think the difference is saturation/mechanical (SG) vs. molecular bonding (rX like products) ... but I'm guessing just like the armchair engineer that I am...
BTW... did you know that glass is actually a liquid?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually it's an amorphous non-crystalline solid

It doesn't flow slowly or droop over time, btw. That's an old wives tail

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
???
Hmmm... if that's the case then I've been deceived! I will have to scold my sister over this perpetuation of a lie! She works with glass and had me totally sold on the idea with supposed proof of old cathedral window glass being thicker at the bottom that at the top! Ack!

Way to crush my dreams, Luke! Now I don't know what to believe! ;)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah, sorry to burst your bubble. The old windows are mishaped because of crappy old manufacturing methods. But don't worry too much, that is a very common myth that almost everyone has heard

Technically, glass is is close to a liquid by definition, but in my book, liquid is the 2nd phase of matter, and the molecules can push past each other, and fill a container. Obviously glass will not fill a container, unless melted when it is a liquid

**Edit. Top result in google
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-fiction-glass-liquid/

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Lol whatever happened to just cleaning your bike once a week? Lazy SOB's

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
652 Posts
I've seen some commercials and youtube videos for this kind of thing lately...Rust-Oleum has a version: NeverWet that you can probably find in hardware stores:
Rust-Oleum® NeverWet® Liquid Repelling Treatment

Is anyone using this kind of product on their bikes to keep them clean? I remember how filthy (and hard to clean) my wheels would get. I bet spraying this everywhere except the chain and rotors would be awesome to keep the bike spotless. They even have a version for fabrics that you could use for your jacket/gear.

I'm still curious for any real-life reports though
Hydrophobic is not oleophobic.To stop dirt,which generally has an oily component, sticking, you need to repel the oil molecules.All hydrophobic chemicals do is repel water,they probably make cleaning more difficult.
You need a chemical whose molecules are attracted to oil on one end (oleophilic) and attracted to water (hydrophilic) on the other end,so that when water is sprayed on the stuff it drags the oily dirt away.

These chemicals are known as detergents and soaps. :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts