Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY ALL...I have been readin bout the 09 in the mags for quite some time and how good the skoot is and finally had a 09 come into my shop. Ridin the skoot backs up 100% what I read, what a wonderful engine. Just might have to add this to my stable.
The owner is experiencing a couple of anomalies that we have started our diagnostics on. I will be turning to this community for help in hopes that what we are experiencing can be figured out.
I will post in the appropriate section.

THANX
RACNRAY

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Welcome. It's a Great Bike & a Fantastic Forum...You'll find plenty of 411 here and plenty of helpful people :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANX...It truly is a great skoot, and that is with some short test rides around my shop.

Here's a little bit more info on me...

Dad brought the first skoot home, a 125cc enduro back in Dec 1973, at the dismay of mom!! I eventually bought a m/x bike and started to m/x race. I started workin at a foreign car shop at about 17 y/o, rebuilding VW engines (fun fun fun...NOT!!). My dad bought a BMW from a local Kawi/BMW dealer and became friends with the owner. At some point the owner expressed the need to my dad he needed to hire some more help. My dad mentioned me, the owner had me come in for an interview. He gave me the job, I gave my boss at the car shop 2 weeks, left there and never looked back.

This month, September, I am celebrating 38 years in the South Fla motorcycle industry, getting my start just a few months outa high school at that local Kawasaki/ BMW dealer. Sweepin the floors, emptying trash cans, assembling bikes, gopher this and gopher that. Did that and other odd stuff around the dealership for about a year and a half, then when we had a service manager that partied more than showing up for work get fired, I was offered the service manager job, at 20 years old. It really was way too much for me, I say I was the "circus manager" and got so stressed out. One night at home when my mom asked me if I wanted any more peas at dinner, I snapped back very rudely "I don't want any more d**n peas. I knew that night I couldn't do the circus manager thing anymore, I wanted to wrench, so might of been the next day I asked the owner to be "promoted" to mechanic. That was the longest month waiting for a replacement. I lasted 10 months as the circus manager. But when I finally got out in the shop to wrench, I was HAPPY!!

I worked at 2 different dealerships from 1976 to 1982, but the politics and deception of all different kinds was all to apparent to me, not how I was raised. My attitude sucked enuff to get me fired, a good thing! Few months later I found my home at what was then South Florida's only complete motorcycle machine shop, man that was heaven!! 2 Bridgeport mills, a nice heavy duty lathe, boring bar, flow bench, man so much of the good stuff to play with. I bored and sleeved cylinders, head work, valve jobs, transmission undercutting, on and on. I turned my ole KZ1000 into a full blown drag bike and in 1988 did a national circuit, setting 13 Nat'l records and earning Nat'l. #4 in Comp Eliminator!

But as time went by at that shop, the differences between the owner and I became apparent. I have the upmost respect for what he taught me, his excellence as a machinist, but his business sense and customer treatment was less than what I believed was right. Again...I was fired!1 GO FIGURE!! That led me to start my own shop and this coming December it'll be 24 years.

It has been a truly great ride, imagine what I have seen in 38 years, how the skoots have changed. I have learned so much & have forgotten quite a bit, and my goal is to continue to learn and grow, both as a shop owner but also as a human being. I gotta say I'm a pretty lucky gut to have been combining my love for skoots and earning a living.

My current rides...

This is my BABY...Y2K BUSA

My newest addition...2011 Kawi Vaquero, 3 1/2 years old and 63,000 mls!!!

And that drag bike, my ole 1977 KZ1000...

If anyone is interested I will post up the dyno results of our custom mapping of this 09 we are diagnosing a funky problem with, I will be seeking other's experiences in hopes to figure this skoots issues.

THANX
RACNRAY

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey RacnRay.....very nice intro and wonderful pics..where in So. Fla are you ?...Im in Tequesta @ 25 miles north of PBIA....nice living but way too many overzealous traffic cops for me:...:crushed:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what sort of anomalies?
I have a transmission waiting for me to undercut, gotta get a least one gear done like right now. I will post whats goin on with this skoot asap.

Using the word anomalies just make it sounds so much more interesting...Like something out of a sci-fi: FZ-09 FRANKENBIKE, come to life out of the shop of the mad-scientist/wrencher, RACNRAY!
LOL...I custom fabricated a combination luggage rack/back rest for my cruiser, it was named "FRANKENRACK" over on the Vulcan forums!!

Hey RacnRay.....very nice intro and wonderful pics..where in So. Fla are you ?...Im in Tequesta @ 25 miles north of PBIA....nice living but way too many overzealous traffic cops for me:...:crushed:
Hallandale Beach, 20 minutes south of Ft. Lauderdale. I was up in Tequesta bout year ago for lunch.

RACNRAY

1 - 9 of 9 Posts