Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Not for me. As far as I have seen, EV's are commuters only, the rigmarole for long distance travel is not my idea of fun.
And, being a cynical old sod, if car manufacturers are all jumping on the bandwagon, what's in it for them? Could it be the much higher churn rate in vehicles that will be unusable/unsaleable in 10 - 15 years?

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Weight has always been the enemy of bike performance and handling, adding batteries, electric motors and all the control systems sounds like real fun killer.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
I had an electric bike, if I pedaled hard enough I could get to 40 km/h.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Being a cynical old sod, I'm very suspicious of anything big corporates are interested in. it usually means we'll be financially sodomised.
It's clear the EV fad appeals to them as it'll mean sooner and greater "churn" in vehicle sales. Where an ICE car can go for 30 - 40 years with relatively cheap maintenance and multiple owners, an EV has 10 - 15 years before it will be valueless. A battery replacement will far exceed the value of the car.
I, and I suspect many others, will not consider buying a 10 year old EV at any price. Our Govt is not only allowing, but subsidising importation of used Nissan Leafs. These things are so run down that they practically need an overnight recharge after every commute. And the owners can forget travelling to other towns nearby, the closest to me is 40 km's away, you won't get there and back with one of these POS's.
But, having said that, there is an EV coming soon that will be in our price range, looks good, will suit our commuter needs and save us about a grand a year. 5 years use will pay for a home charging set up. Then we flick it for another new one.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
We have a thing called Road User Charges, it's designed to capture vehicles that don't use petrol, which is highly taxed. And was intended to hit heavy vehicles to compensate for the extra damage they do to roads. Currently this starts at $NZ76 per 1000km's, and applies to all vehicles up to 3500 kg's. Heavier than that pays more. EV's don't pay it at all........for now.
The catch is that vehicles under that weight don't damage roads, it's purely a tax grab at that price. And it will apply to EV's when they become a significant part of the fleet.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
It may not seem like there is an upside but be certain, EV's are here to stay and they are going to get better........ a lot better. There will be breakthroughs and eventually everyone will take the technology for granted. They put a man on the moon 53 years ago with less computing power than a cell phone. How can they not figure out a truly viable EV.
They did, but no one wants to live there. We had truly viable EV's here many years ago, but the aerial pick ups came off the lines quite often.

Reactions: ChesterBurnet

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
I simply don't like the torque characteristics of EV's. The whole lot at zero revs and decreasing as revs rise is not thrilling for my kind of driving riding.
There are quite a few EV's that will run away from my car over a 1/4 mile, but are no faster flatout. The Porsche Taycan is barely 10 km/h faster and has around 300hp more.
I certainly don't want that in a bike.

Reactions: OldSchlPunk
1 - 7 of 7 Posts