Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
An electric FZ/MT 09 wouldn't be an 09, it'd just be an electric bike. The engine is certainly the star of the show with these bikes.

I'm down for an electric bike, but the people designing them seem too stubborn for their own good. Instead of using a strong enough motor to not require a gearbox and therefore fighting limited range, just use a smaller motor and give me a gearbox to multiply torque.

I think they're so hung up on replacing "antiquated" technology that they can't see the forest for the trees. A blending of technologies is probably our best bet rather than eliminating a gearbox just to get rid of every ounce of that scary petroleum a transmission needs.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Oh, and as far as hotrodding an electric bike. Go check out RC car stuff. There's tons of performance potential in that stuff. Different motor controllers and such. Way easier than big bore kits, custom cams, ported heads, etc. It's really not a bad place to be if you're in to hotrodding. It'll never have the same vibe as a literal fire breathing fuel burner, though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts