Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an excellent How-To video explaining how to remove the '21 MT-09's fuel tank and access the airbox to install a DNA air filter:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Interesting mod for the airbox... Since the runners for the intake are equal and there is a separation wall in the airbox I am tempted to say that the runners are purely to reduce noise ... Hence if you have cut them down you can potentially gain more noise but also some power due to the airfilter.
Aleks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting mod for the airbox...you can potentially gain more noise but also some power due to the air filter.
The video was interesting only for the disassembly tutorial. Riders love to blindly perform half-baked and ill-considered mods the primary purpose of which is making more noise. How many do before and after dyno runs? Or consider that a racing mod to gain peak horsepower usually comes at the expense of mid-range power which isn't great for a streetbike. Or consider that noise gets tiresome after a few months (or when you stop being a teenager emotionally). It's the Dunning-Kruger effect; most people have no idea how much they don't know about the complex engineering that goes into a high-performance engine. Surely any average motorcycle owner can out-engineer a Japanese/German/Italian professional engineer with decades of experience and expensive test equipment, you know?

My FZ-07 had come with a DNA air filter and Stage 2 airbox lid. Getting rid of that $180 add-on to go back to stock made the bike a lot quieter AND made the $400 Power Commander V unnecessary. Meanwhile, installing a $23 R6 throttle tube did more for the bike AND left it quieter.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I kept thinking that if the vid was made with the cam in a head mount, they could use both hands for the demonstration.

I've read the airbox mod has a small effect with a good tune but it's probably nothing you'd feel. I also have an R6 throttle tube and agree it may add more.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The video was interesting only for the disassembly tutorial. Riders love to blindly perform half-baked and ill-considered mods the primary purpose of which is making more noise. How many do before and after dyno runs? Or consider that a racing mod to gain peak horsepower usually comes at the expense of mid-range power which isn't great for a streetbike. Or consider that noise gets tiresome after a few months (or when you stop being a teenager emotionally). It's the Dunning-Kruger effect; most people have no idea how much they don't know about the complex engineering that goes into a high-performance engine. Surely any average motorcycle owner can out-engineer a Japanese/German/Italian professional engineer with decades of experience and expensive test equipment, you know?

My FZ-07 had come with a DNA air filter and Stage 2 airbox lid. Getting rid of that $180 add-on to go back to stock made the bike a lot quieter AND made the $400 Power Commander V unnecessary. Meanwhile, installing a $23 R6 throttle tube did more for the bike AND left it quieter.
Not going to debate the mt09 but on the cp2 engine that I've had tuned with velocity stacks and air filter and removing the stock airbox I've gained over 10whp and mid range was far better with dyno to prove it. So whatever you say about the cp2 is not correct as that has been proven to gain a lot of power and torque due to poor design in the air box, mainly cause it's a cheap bike and they don't spend the money for RD as they do on an R1 where every hp matters.
I agree that noise is no good for you and if there is only a noise gain then it shouldn't be done.
Aleks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Reading the comments by the author he states:

In an analogy, it’s the equivalent of exercising with a mask on.. and this mod is taking the mask off 😷 better breathability, enhanced power, and better acceleration with a side of sound improvement

Another watcher of the vid also performed mod and agreed to the outcome.
:geek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reading the comments by the author he states:

"In an analogy, it’s the equivalent of exercising with a mask on.. and this mod is taking the mask off 😷 better breathability, enhanced power, and better acceleration with a side of sound improvement"

Another watcher of the vid also performed mod and agreed to the outcome.
I'm extremely skeptical of any intake/exhaust mods which aren't paired with corresponding fuel map changes (preferably with before & after dyno runs). The stock fuel map is already pretty lean. I can't imagine worsening the lean condition without negatively impacting driveablity and/or engine longevity. Now that the 2021 ECU has finally been cracked, new owners should be able to make any intake/exhaust/fuel mods desired (including the ability to make more noise).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What about the DNA filter itself? Any review?
A gauze-type air filter that you can clean and re-oil has some theoretical cost advantage over a paper filter which has to be replaced over time. Also, the DNA filter has a MUCH larger filter area than the stock air filter which should benefit high-rpm airflow (as if my streetbike needs more top-end power). On the other hand, I don't know what kind of intake airflow sensor the MT-09 has and how that sensor is affected by excess filter oil being blown onto it. I suspect that it's just an air pressure (vacuum) sensor on the throttle body assembly which wouldn't be affected by a little air filter oil blowing past it but I'm not positive. Anyway, car owners adding Cold-Air Intake systems sometimes ruin their intake airflow sensors with accumulated oil and dirt - oops.

·
Vendor
1,562 Posts

here is a dyno run on the mt07 stock vs with just the snorkel removed and my flash showing gains on middle and top, opening up the hole in the lid like the stage 2 made even more difference across the board.( and did not require different tuning)

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

here is same bike stock vs with a pipe and the HORD intake that removes the airbox and of coarse my flash. The bike is stronger across almost the entire range with almost a 14% increase in peak power without falling on its face the last 1500 rpm

Slope Plot Rectangle Font Line

yes some people mod with out verifying gains but that does not mean gains cant be had with simple mods. and some people are happy with just increased intake noise. Its cool you were happier with removing your mods than you were with the mods but I dont understand the talking down people that dont want exactly the same from their bikes as you do.

All those very smart engineers are constrained my noise emissions hence why gains can be found with many bikes with simple air box mods.

I have not tested the 21 mt09 yet but I will be soon. The ecu is not cracked yet ( I have been speaking to woolich this week about it) once it is cracked I will be getting one and doing my normal pre and post testing for things like the air box mod and developing flashes for it. Ill make the info public so that people can decide for themselves if its worth it or not

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I dont understand the talking down people that dont want exactly the same from their bikes as you do.
I’m not saying that anyone else should want exactly what I do - that would be absurd. I’m saying that some people cheap out in making ill-considered intake and exhaust mods WITHOUT fuel remapping (via a ECU flash or an add-on fuel tuner). DNA themselves say that their Stage 2 airbox lid requires fuel remapping. Running an exhaust without a baffle requires fuel remapping.

In the case of my FZ-07, it had been dyno-tuned using a Power Commander V with the DNA Stage 2 kit and an Akra Ti system without the baffle. I -and my neighbors- couldn’t tolerate not having a baffle and the performance gain of the DNA kit didn’t justify the increased intake noise AND needing to a $400 PCV installed which I could just sell (along with the DNA State 2 kit itself).

For the 2021 MT-09, I’ll likely look into a ECU flash despite keeping the stock airbox and exhaust (to get rid of the lean spots in the fuel map).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts