Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to tell you've had the new CCT Part # 1RC-12210-03-00, rather than the old one just adjusted ? Does it have any markings to show its the new one? vs the old one?

I'd like to know for sure, they've replaced rather than just adjusted the old one... My bike is scheduled to go in in a few days time.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Unfortunately, you've got good reason to be concerned. There's little to No trust between the dealerships and the public.

Reactions: Desert Rat

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not unless you remove it from your motor...

There are no distinguishing markings... Unless you are wise enough to make a mark yourself :)
Good idea ;) I'll dig a little notch in it. Should they actually replace, I wonder if i should be putting your fizzerkit back on to the new version, as soon as i get it back...

Anyone know if the latest version adjusts the same way? What harm could be done with the fizzerkit installed on the newest CCT ?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
The new CCT adjusts the same way. I don't think any harm could be done as long as the installation is done properly. Some of the 03 tensioners have given up the ghost. I do think that the APE tensioner is the way to go on this bike.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But if the fizzerkit (i bet you love that name lol) stops it from backing out.. Why bother with the APE ? Unless you're someone who enjoys manually loosening the CCT? I just don't get why bother with the APE over the 'fizzerkit' ?

The new CCT adjusts the same way. I don't think any harm could be done as long as the installation is done properly. Some of the 03 tensioners have given up the ghost. I do think that the APE tensioner is the way to go on this bike.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The advantage I can see is that the APE is designed to be a manual CCT, and will stay wherever you set it. Whereas the OEM CCT was designed to be an auto adjust and it's possible(though unlikely) that it could potentially over adjust itself too tight if it fails completely putting unwanted tension on your cam chain. With the set screw in place, it can't loosen beyond where you set it, but could over tighten...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Can't see it over tightening - these CCTs like to walk backwards. I would check on a set screw periodically though, just to make sure it's right up against the tensioner.

·
Registered
520 Posts
It doesnt matter which one you get, they both take a poop on you... Use the m6 set screw to make it manual.
It wont roll forward on its own, the vibration cant possibly throw enough torque on the tensioner to thread it forward enough to overtighten... Vibrations can loosed mechanical seals (ie threads) but cant overtighten.. That would be like having threads on your bike get stripped because something vibrated forward, not gonna happen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I do not recommend anyone do what i am about to suggest, BUT

If you wanted to have peace of mind, couldn't you just apply some liquid thread locker on any Manual CCT so that it will never "back" out? Is that even an option?

I can hear my CCT auto adjusting when I cold start mine. It goes from a metal slapping sound, to a quiet motor sound.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts