Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bleed the fz09 brakes and was using mighty vac. As I was bleeding I heard what sounded like a missle taking off.. i realized it was my resevoir sucking in air because i let it get to low. Bleed it some and took it for a spin and everything seems ok.. never done a brake bleed before.. is my breaks gonna randomly stop working one day because theres air in the line or did I bleed it out?

·
Registered
314 Posts
If there is air in the line, more than likely the brakes wont work or you would need to pull the lever to the bar to get any pressure. If you took it for a test ride and the brakes work and the pedal and lever feel firm then chances are that you got all of the air out.

One rule I use when bleeding brakes is to never let the reservoir get below 1/2 full, just in case. Bleed, bleed and fill, bleed, bleed and fill.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,888 Posts
One rule I use when bleeding brakes is to never let the reservoir get below 1/2 full, just in case. Bleed, bleed and fill, bleed, bleed and fill.
^THIS.

I would add... Using a Mity-Vac, or air bleeder, or any kind of mechanical bleeding device is great for flushing out the old fluid and sucking new stuff into the system. But for final bleeding, nothing beats the old pump-pump-squeeze method by hand. Route the clear hose up and over, forming a loop, so if any air comes out it makes a visible bubble at the top of the loop.

I agree, it sounds like you probably got it all. You’ll know if it starts feeling “spongy”, do a re-bleed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas, everything feels firm so far... nothing feels spongy at all. Got some brake fluid on the swingarm... waiting til tomorrow to put it in the sunlight to see if any fluid got somewhere I didnt have protected, lol. Shit was hard to contain.. it started flowing out when I took off front resevoir cap, because inhad bike on kick stand.. then when i put the seal on the rear resevoir she overflooded and started dripping onto my swingarm... cant wait to see the damage from that.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks fellas, everything feels firm so far... nothing feels spongy at all. Got some brake fluid on the swingarm... waiting til tomorrow to put it in the sunlight to see if any fluid got somewhere I didnt have protected, lol. Shit was hard to contain.. it started flowing out when I took off front resevoir cap, because inhad bike on kick stand.. then when i put the seal on the rear resevoir she overflooded and started dripping onto my swingarm... cant wait to see the damage from that.
If this is your first time bleeding brakes, it sounds like you did ok. Take some mental notes on what worked and what didn't for next time.

When working with brake fluid, cover EVERYTHING in the immediate area with towels prior to beginning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If this is your first time bleeding brakes, it sounds like you did ok. Take some mental notes on what worked and what didn't for next time.

When working with brake fluid, cover EVERYTHING in the immediate area with towels prior to beginning.
I cleaned up everything as fast as i could.. hopefully it didnt damage anything.. thanks for the help tho. Inhad a sheet over the tank thank god.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One last thing, can someone tell me how to read the front resevoir so I know if it has too much fluid. With the handlebars straight and on kickstand it has a small bubble. With handle bars facing left and on kickstand the bubble extends down to the lower mark. How am I supposed to read this thing? Manual is shady on this topic to say the least.

·
Registered
314 Posts
One last thing, can someone tell me how to read the front resevoir so I know if it has too much fluid. With the handlebars straight and on kickstand it has a small bubble. With handle bars facing left and on kickstand the bubble extends down to the lower mark. How am I supposed to read this thing? Manual is shady on this topic to say the least.
I have the FJ-09 with a center stand. I have the bike upright and I swivel the reservoir so it is level with the ground when I fill it. I fill the reservoir so it is not quite to the top of the sight glass, small bubble showing.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Surprised nobody else mentioned this yet. Throw a zip tie around the front brake lever/bar and a weight hung off the rear brake lever over night. If memory serves me right this puts full pressure on the line over night, and slowly forces any small straggling air bubbles up to the top of the line (the morning after i tap along the lines to make sure the bubbles move up), and when you release the weight/zip tie that bubble gets sucked up in to the reservoir and is replaced with fluid.

honestly not sure how it works, but i know for a fact it DOES work. brakes always feel 10x better after this

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,888 Posts
☝ I used to do that on my race bikes. But I can’t honestly say it made any difference, except maybe in my head!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts