Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a weird one, but worth passing on. After installing an '06 ZX6 shock and setting the compression and rebound at about midpoint, I noticed I can stop quicker using the back brake on dirt & gravel roads now. I tend to run into corners at the ragged edge and frequently lock up the rear brake dirt-bike style. With the FZ's street tires this usually results in a massive slide with little traction from the rear and a sudden realization you're not on knobbies in Kansas anymore. But with my present set-up, I get a shudder from the rear accompanied by amazing traction. After thinking about it, I believe I am "packing up" the rear with too much rebound and the compressed shock action forces the rear tire down into the surface rather than sliding on the top. This doesn't happen on pavement and I could easily eliminate it by backing off the rebound, but I kind of like the simulated rear ABS for off-road.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My first thought is that the same 'packing' issue due to the inadequacy of the ZX6 shock for the FZ-09 application that gives you 'amazing' traction on a rarely traveled bumpy gravel, probably also gives you horrible traction on the bumpy pavement where you likely spend most of your time.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Any improvement in rear traction is probably because you're no longer experiencing so much sudden weight transfer off the back and onto the front. If you are packing down, then you clearly have too much rebound damping.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In case someone has never experienced it, rebound packing happens when too much rebound doesn't allow the shock to return fully before another bump hits. It feels like you're on a hard-tail. It works good in the dirt & gravel but not on pavement where it manifests itself over a very bumpy road. The ZX6 shock works very good on pavement with the rebound set in the middle, any less and it gets springy, but still better than the stock shock set at max.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts