Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I ship my forks for surgery, I want to have all my ducks in a perfect row.

I have the forks in a Flambeau double rifle case. I don't feel completely comfortable shipping the case by itself, because the plastic is thin and overall construction on the fragile side.

One good lick on of the three cheap hinges, and that thing is flying open.

The UPS Store does have nylon straps, so they could put at least one around the middle.

The other option is to build a box with two 48" boxes (unfortunately, I didn't keep the cardboard box it came in).

Those UPS guys really toss things around, so if it can be damaged it will be damaged. And I don't want to rely on insurance, as that's a major battle for compensation.

The other thing is that I want the return shipper (our man, Nick, at Stoltec Moto) to have an easy time shipping it back with the same packing method.

Ideas?

Here's the case. It looks much stronger than it is. The hinges especially are really weak--just a thin wire in plastic.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Some heavy duty zip ties wrapped around it to hold the two halves together in case the hinges fail? You could put some extra zip ties inside the case with the forks for the shop to do the same when shipping them back to you.

Or just wrap it in a bunch of duct tape :p

duct+tape.+tags+say+all_5368a3_3941242.jpg

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Unless your case is shoddy, shipping it 'naked' is fine...do it all the time. Your zip ties on the corners is good, so use them on all the lock locations possible and around the handle. Then, wrap duct tape around the case over each of the clasps. For the case pictured, you'll have three strips of duct tape.

On the inside, I like to separate the forks in some way. You can wrap one in foam, or put in dividers. It's a case by case basis...yup, I'm here all week, folks!

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
I see that case on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Flambeau Safeshot Oversized Double Case: Sports & Outdoors

Is there a better inexpensive case for shipping forks?
This one works, but it's a little tighter: Amazon.com: Plano 10470 Gun Guard SE Single Rifle Case: Sports & Outdoors

Is there something wrong with packaging the forks very well in a normal cardboard shipping box? That's what I plan to do.
No...but it can be very time consuming to pack/unpack. It's strictly a courtesy to your suspension shop.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Yeah, I would say that a gun case is preferred. Boxing isn't out of the question, but I'll say that most shops charge you based on the time spent working on the forks. This assumes very little time spent on the packaging. I've had some that required a solid 15-20 minutes of unpack/repack time.

Oddly, I've NEVER had an issue shipping forks like that. I've had a few questions of "is there a gun in there", but a simple "no" has always sufficed. I've done quite a few Canadian Super Tenere forks, so the border crossing only sucks when it comes to paying your taxes...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I wrapped each fork leg with bubble wrap I had from my pit bull stand. I then rolled some old T-shirts into tubes and laid them between the legs so they couldn't bang into each other. All of that was placed inside a cheap gun case similar to ones posted. I zip tied it closed and then I placed it into a box and shipped the box. I wasn't comfortable shipping the gun case as guns have a tendency to go missing while being shipped. I've known several people who work for UPS and they all talk about guns being stolen by the loading dock people. I can't imagine how long it would take to get new forks ordered from Yamaha. I still don't have my owners manual and it's been ordered for 2 months.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
If you are really worried you could always buy an aluminum gun case designed for shipping. I was going to go this route but my local sporting goods store didn't have them in stock and I didn't want to wait. They run about $70-$150 depending on how fancy you want. If you don't own guns this is probably overkill, but I own guns and would have been able to use the case afterwards.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
If you are really worried you could always buy an aluminum gun case designed for shipping. I was going to go this route but my local sporting goods store didn't have them in stock and I didn't want to wait. They run about $70-$150 depending on how fancy you want. If you don't own guns this is probably overkill, but I own guns and would have been able to use the case afterwards.
The aluminum cases work very well, but they really add a lot of weight to the shipment. Sliding the plastic case into the box it came in is a reasonable approach.

Easiest solution? Buy a gun that comes in a case :cool:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More zips in more locations, duct tape, and better protection inside for the individual forks should do the job.

Thanks for all the tips. I knew there would be a few obvious and not-so-obvious things I hadn't thought of.

I served as comic relief for commuters, as I had the case standing up on the passenger side of the Miata with the top down, dodging the 40F rain!

I'm glad that I bolted from shipper this morning after second thoughts. I had expected to box it; but I'll prep it to ship naked, instead.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
UPS pre paid how-to?

I'll be shipping my forks and probably the ECU to Nick in a rifle case. I've never shipped UPS with an included prepaid return before. Does UPS stick the return in one of those plastic envelops on the outside of the package?

Or do they have to put something inside the package? I'd like to go to UPS with the rifle case already taped up etc.

Any other tips for this? I have the same Flambeau case that Alley Oop posted a photo of at the top of the thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bob, I learned that UPS Stores have plastic label bags (very thin, flat, and clear) with adhesive on one side (bag should be no charge to you). I had them put the send and return labels in the same bag (return label underneath, of course). I had them wrap tape around the case, and over the bag, to make sure the bag didn't come off (probably unnecessary, as the bag adhesive turned out to be very good).

I'm sure you're excited to get your forks and ECU done. I love the bike now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts