Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my beautiful new Penske shock from Stoltec and am working on the install.

I've unscrewed the bolts at the rear of the tank. And I've gotten the plastics and scoops off the front. I'm guessing that the textured plastic panels (lower right in photo) also need to come off. But before I break something, I thought I would ask.

What are the next steps to removing or raising the tank so I can get to the upper shock bolt?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I've got my beautiful new Penske shock from Stoltec and am working on the install.

I've unscrewed the bolts at the rear of the tank. And I've gotten the plastics and scoops off the front. I'm guessing that the textured plastic panels (lower right in photo) also need to come off. But before I break something, I thought I would ask.

What are the next steps to removing or raising the tank so I can get to the upper shock bolt?

no, the textured pieces don't need to come off. you need to undo that little button head bolt (the one in between the two silver ones) with the big flat washer, both sides. also remove the two rubber trim pieces at the front of the tank before pulling the tank away.

if you loosen them rather than remove them completely, you can tilt the tank up from the rear and reach underneath to undo the hoses and connectors.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P.S. Site admins, can't we allow images hosted on another server to appear larger than 700px? At least 900px? The most common resolution on the web today is 1366px wide. And many of us on newer machines have much wider.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no, the textured pieces don't need to come off. you need to undo that little button head bolt (the one in between the two silver ones) with the big flat washer, both sides. also remove the two rubber trim pieces at the front of the tank before pulling the tank away.

if you loosen them rather than remove them completely, you can tilt the tank up from the rear and reach underneath to undo the hoses and connectors.
Ah, okay. I thought that the tank just pivoted on that bolt. But I guess the pivot is farther back (or maybe farther forward). Thanks!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
P.S. Site admins, can't we allow images hosted on another server to appear larger than 700px? At least 900px? The most common resolution on the web today is 1366px wide. And many of us on newer machines have much wider.
I use Photobucket. It takes nothing to set up a personal account.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Ah, okay. I thought that the tank just pivoted on that bolt. But I guess the pivot is farther back (or maybe farther forward). Thanks!
it can pivot forward a bit on that bolt, but if you want to remove the tank you need to remove the bolt. i don't think yamaha intended the tank to be tilted up for maintenance. i had a gsxr that was designed with a tilt-up tank...it even came with a rod to hold it up. made some maintenance tasks much easier.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
uncheck 'retrieve remote file and reference locally' when you create the image link.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tank is unbolted. What are those four connections? I'm assuming one or both of the clamped houses on the right are fuel.

Do I need to remove all lines from underneath?

If so, do I need to drain / siphon the tank first?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Tank is unbolted. What are those four connections? I'm assuming one or both of the clamped houses on the right are fuel.

Do I need to remove all lines from underneath?

If so, do I need to drain / siphon the tank first?

If you are just removing the shock prop a 1X4 underneath to hold it up enough to get some clearance.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
If you are just removing the shock prop a 1X4 underneath to hold it up enough to get some clearance.
This. No need to disconnect...

But since you asked...the rubber line with the orange fitting is the fuel line, the black harness is the pump/sender connection, and the two rubber lines next to one another are the tank vent and drain.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, that's easy enough. Thanks!

Top bolt or bottom first? I'm thinking bottom, since that will help unload the top.

Here's where I am now:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thought I would share this experience. I had a hard time getting out the top bolt that holds the screen in the front left scoop.

When I finally got the scoop off, the grommet for that bolt had come out. When I found it on the floor, I saw that it was misshapen, which for some reason made the bolt not want to screw all the way out.

The Ugly (top)

The Good (bottom, still in place)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This. No need to disconnect...

But since you asked...the rubber line with the orange fitting is the fuel line, the black harness is the pump/sender connection, and the two rubber lines next to one another are the tank vent and drain.
Gotcha! Interesting!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts