Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First understand the physiology - Motion Induced Blindness. We motorcyclists, by not appearing to move to drivers, are the disappearing dots.

MSF

What can you do about it? The situation is called a SMIDSY (Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You). A possible remedy is the SIAM (Simdsy Identification and Avoidance Maneuver).

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Thats good stuff, I almost had a SMIDSY accident one time on my old bike, fortunately I was able to stop in time...but the guy clearly was surprised when he did see how close I was and he stopped in the middle of the road!

That technique is great!...Im always learning

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
That's good material there. I'll try it out. Adding this technique to my CYHMNMF (Can you hear me now motherf***er...LOL) should make me very safe. Upgrade lighting and being heard got me out of trouble many times. I'm not planning on installing aux light on this bike, that's why I did the retrofit from AHR. I have aux light on my FZ6R and love it on long night ride. Even use them when it rain or day time in heavy traffic. Adding 2300 luminens at a flick of a button is useful.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
That's great info, I usually use the flasher light but during the day that is much less effective.

Reactions: FJRider

·
Registered
209 Posts
That's great info, I usually use the flasher light but during the day that is much less effective.

I never flash my lights in this situation. Its been mistaken before as a sign for them to go ahead and take the right of way... And thats exactly what youre trying to avoid! Ive been using the positive weave for awhile now since I learned about it on another forum.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I never flash my lights in this situation. Its been mistaken before as a sign for them to go ahead and take the right of way... And thats exactly what youre trying to avoid! Ive been using the positive weave for awhile now since I learned about it on another forum.
That's my understanding as well, at least in the US. Flashing my headlights means one of two things... either there's a police radar that I have just passed or I'm saying, "Go ahead. I'll wait for you to maneuver."

If someone flashes headlights at me, say at a four way stop intersection, I'll physically acknowledge with a wave or possibly a nod before proceeding. That gives me an extra second or so to stop if we are misunderstanding each other and also to scan all sides of the intersection before proceeding.

Proceeding through an intersection where I am not required to stop while other traffic waits at a stop sign, the SMIDSY is a great maneuver. I have watched drivers partially enter the intersection from their stop signs as I approached and abruptly stop when they saw me weave.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts