Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get photos / description of how to remove the gas tank and how to remove the ECU to send in. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
730 Posts
search works. try the how to section....

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I just put the bike back together from putting block-off plates in, and had to turn around and pull the ECU. I did it without removing the tank altogether. I propped it up, slid a screwdriver under the ECU connectors to pop them out, lifted the two retaining tabs and slid the ECU out with the tank still connected. It was tedious work but beat having to disconnect the gas line, electrical connector, and two vent hoses.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Here is the procedure to remove the tank
1. Remove seat
2. Remove both front side panels. One Allen head, and push in the two inner push pins
3. Remove center front cover. 4 push pins.
4. Remove 2 front trim pieces slide forward and unhook from the side panels.
5. Remove front tank mount Allen head.
6. Remove two back tank bolts. 10mm.
7. Carefully lift tank from center sliding forward so as not to scratch the rear of the tank on the mount.
8. Place rag on rear tank bracket and let tank rest on top of back bracket.

You have two choices at this point. Remove everything connected to the bottom of the tank or lift the tank and use objects to support the tank and reach in to disconnect the ECU. Have a baggie handy if you pull the gas line. It is the orange connector, which requires that you slide the connector back and push the tab to release.

·
Registered
143 Posts
FYI, when I pulled my fuel line, it only dripped the tiniest little bit...neat connector
Is it necessary to empty your tank before doing this? Obviously, it would make a weight difference but DO I HAVE TO? I certainly don't want 3+ gallons of gas running all over the place!

Thanks!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nope, there is a nifty connection fitting that prevents fuel from coming out...my tank was half full
SWEET thanks Luke. Going to do this tomorrow night so i can take it to nick on saturday.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Is it necessary to empty your tank before doing this? Obviously, it would make a weight difference but DO I HAVE TO? I certainly don't want 3+ gallons of gas running all over the place!

Thanks!
Lot easier to handle the tank if it is empty, or close to empty.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Perhaps a little easier.

Here is the procedure to remove the tank
1. Remove seat
2. Remove both front side panels. One Allen head, and push in the two inner push pins
3. Remove center front cover. 4 push pins.
4. Remove 2 front trim pieces slide forward and unhook from the side panels.
5. Remove front tank mount Allen head.
6. Remove two back tank bolts. 10mm.
7. Carefully lift tank from center sliding forward so as not to scratch the rear of the tank on the mount.
8. Place rag on rear tank bracket and let tank rest on top of back bracket.

You have two choices at this point. Remove everything connected to the bottom of the tank or lift the tank and use objects to support the tank and reach in to disconnect the ECU. Have a baggie handy if you pull the gas line. It is the orange connector, which requires that you slide the connector back and push the tab to release.

I think it is much safer to disconnect the positive side of battery! Everybody may have done that.

It was quicker and easier for me to:
7. Carefully lift tank from center sliding it back 4+ inches {3 gallons of fuel in tank} and let the rear tank mount set on cardboard resting on frame.
8. Propped front of tank up with a 2x6 x11+/- inches. Place the 2x6 on its end in center of tank with the tank hanging down on both sides of the 2x6 [hope this makes sense]. ECU was very easy to slide out and it is the only thing I disconnected.
9. Repositioned tank in standard location until ECU was returned.
10. Installed ECU on the eighth day after lung cancer surgery.
11. Test ride the next day.

ECU removal and replacement was much easier than anticipated.
:cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
No need to disconnect the battery for this job!

·
Registered
239 Posts
No need to disconnect the battery for this job!

I had my first computer science class in 1988 fall term at The University of Louisville. I've replaced every part there is to replace in a personal computer and configured a lot of electronic equipment. A lightening strike at my home smoked $9000 in electronics two years ago. I've always considered it prudent to disconnect the power supply installing electronic equipment. It may not be necessary to disconnect the battery when installing a motorcycle Electronic Control Unit but I feel safer doing so and recommend it.
:sign2:

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Congratulations.....you had your first computer class 8 years after I became a Journeyman Electrician. If it makes you feel better/safer to disconnect the battery for ECU removal, then I say...go for it! It really isn't necessary though.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I compiled my first computer program in 1977, the quadratic equation in Microsoft Basic language, and have built over 100 computers from scratch, I didn't bother with disconnecting the ground of my battery to pull my ECU, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night either.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sarcastic Super Moderator

Congratulations.....you had your first computer class 8 years after I became a Journeyman Electrician. If it makes you feel better/safer to disconnect the battery for ECU removal, then I say...go for it! It really isn't necessary though.
"Congratulations" ---> Sarcasm is "a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter gibe or taunt." Wikipedia .... In sarcasm, ridicule or mockery is used harshly, often crudely and contemptuously, for destructive purposes. Dictionary.com

You said "I became a Journeyman Electrician" I'm not impressed.:rolleyes: While you were becoming a Journeyman Electrician I was a Journeyman Millwright which required the same skill set you were using plus much more but I don't find that particularly impressive either. Passing Actuarial Exams and becoming a Fellow, that I find impressive as well as some academic achievements.:cool:

I might add changing an electrical socket live or energized is not necessary though I often avoid it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts