Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
201 - 220 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I too hate factories, retailers etc getting away with shoddy shite, but seeing you have the APE, throw it in for peace of mind and ride the bike.

MYNTZ, the reason they don't fit manual adjusters is to reduce the home fiddler phuque up syndrome. A slightly noisy tensioner is better than one as tight as a bowstring.

·
Registered
432 Posts
MYNTZ, the reason they don't fit manual adjusters is to reduce the home fiddler phuque up syndrome. A slightly noisy tensioner is better than one as tight as a bowstring.
I suppose, but what's stopping someone from running an overly tight(or loose) drive-chain which would arguably cause just as dangerous damage?

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
I know I'm not alone in saying I'm absolutely dumbfounded as to how something as mechanically simple as this cannot get resolved by Yamaha for the last 2 decades. JUST INSTALL A MANUAL ONE AT THE FACTORY! If people can adjust their drive-chain, why the hell would you think they couldn't "turn an allen key until the noise is gone, then back off a 1/2 turn"?

The cam chain skipping a tooth is a HUGE issue and shouldn't be taken lightly by Yamaha, or the DOT if you ask me.
It ain't just Yamaha that has crappy CCTs.
A quick Goggle search will show CCT problems and complaints from all four Japanese makers.
I will admit that installing an APE in my 09 was the first time I was "forced" to.
For some reason I accepted spending money on the suspension and fueling but that $85 really pissed me off.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I suppose, but what's stopping someone from running an overly tight(or loose) drive-chain which would arguably cause just as dangerous damage?
Yamaha recommend overly tight drive chains:rolleyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Installed my APE CCT last night, you all made it seem so easy but mine was a serious PITA. First off the old one wouldn't come out for the life of me, probably my fault due to just taking the two bolts out on the side and the thing fully extending. Then the new one wouldnt go in at all with it fully retracted. there was like 1mm of the tensioner that just would make it in, so I walked away to smoke and gave my buddy a shot, he said he got it in when it was fully extended, weird. I found bits of dirt had fallen into the cover opening which I wiped out a pray the engine is fine. what do you think? will she be ok? and now it comes to adjusting it which my OCD brain its not being helpful. I swear no matter the position I couldn't hear it rattle and I was scared to back it out too much because of the horrors I ready about skipping a tooth. So now I think after work im gonna open her up again while shes warm and just tighten it till the chain wont move and back it out half a turn and lock it down. But PHEW Im scared ill never stop messing with this thing!

·
Banned
89 Posts
i removed the valve cover to check the clearences
and felt the chain and it felt really snug
could only move it a few mm buy putting pressure image.jpg

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
i removed the valve cover to check the clearences and felt the chain and it felt really snug
I think you need to check the chain on the slack side. Checking it up top the crank could be pulling on the cams...while the cams are opening valves and providing a back pull...thus it could be tight. The question is how tight is it where the tensioner is. I would pull the side cover off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Alright I'm looking for a little bit of advice now. I can't seem to get satisfied. It doesn't seem to rattle much ever with it backed way out. So I ended up backing the tensioner out until I was adjustable by hand, with the motor running I made it as hand tight as I could and then did half a turn more with the Allen key. No noises besides the normals ticks like when I first got her.

Should I be worried about having over tightening it or does this seem acceptable?

Are there any obvious symptoms that will tell me it's too tight?

Thank you for your time

·
Registered
619 Posts
Alright I'm looking for a little bit of advice now. I can't seem to get satisfied. It doesn't seem to rattle much ever with it backed way out. So I ended up backing the tensioner out until I was adjustable by hand, with the motor running I made it as hand tight as I could and then did half a turn more with the Allen key. No noises besides the normals ticks like when I first got her.

Should I be worried about having over tightening it or does this seem acceptable?

Are there any obvious symptoms that will tell me it's too tight?

Thank you for your time
Do you notice more vibration in the motor? handlebars or footpegs? I noticed that you can adjust some out with a few degrees of adjustment on the CCT.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do you notice more vibration in the motor? handlebars or footpegs? I noticed that you can adjust some out with a few degrees of adjustment on the CCT.
No I did not notice any more vibration. At least anything that caught my attention, and I'm a considerable amount OCD about noticing things. No distinct whines either except from the engine when I give her a little rev. But I imagine that's normal

·
Registered
61 Posts
i think you need to pop that oem auto tensioner back on and ride more worry less
Honestly I would love to but I swapped it out because she was rattling like bb's in a can. And according to both dealers out here they can find no such tsb for my vin number. :/ also ive read every page of this and about how much better the manual is. I'm just trying to get a little input from you more technically savvy gentlemen with regards to my individual case because well, that's why ive ever joined every forum until I know enough to be of use to help the next guy

·
Banned
89 Posts
basically loosen until you get a tick, then tighten until there is the least amount of buzz transmitted through the wrench

·
Registered
61 Posts
So to report. Just went and tinkered with it some more. I was able to back it out and finally heard the distinct rattle. Hand tightened it in with the engine running until the rattle dissapeared but it was still prevalent when revved. So I tightened a bit, revved repeat until I heard no more noise and tightened the locking nut down pretty darn tight. It's now showing 9.5 threads as to The previous 8 threads so I believe she was mayb a smidge to tight. Now I'll just listen as I ride and if I hear any rattles during a ride I'll just tighten a bit at a time till it's gone. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
i think you need to pop that oem auto tensioner back on and ride more worry less
Don't let that stock tensioner anywhere near your bike!
Just dispose of it the same way you would get rid of anything toxic!

My APE has been in my bike for over 9000 miles and I have adjusted it once, about 2000 miles ago. I needed to tighten it up about 1/8 of a turn.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Question here - I'm not mechanically inclinded enough to install the APE. I may be able to pull it off, but if not I'm screwed, but I need it.

I'm going to buy it and try and persuade the Yamaha dealer to install it for me. Has anyone tried this? I have no warranty as I bought the bike used with 2000 miles on it. It now has 2500 and I just experienced my first cct noise failure problem. I'm not messing around with the oem crap. I just want it fixed.

If the Yamaha dealer won't do it, I'll go to a kawasaki dealer and have them install it. I have zero other motorcycle mechanics to choose from, only dealers.

Thoughts?

I'm confident enough to do the adjustments, I'm just scared I'll mess up the engine timing. I would be upset if I did that, when someone more capable than me should do the install.

I just wanna ride without worry dammit. Is that to much to ask for?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I'm confident enough to do the adjustments, I'm just scared I'll mess up the engine timing. I would be upset if I did that,
The way you mess up the timing is to remove the OEM CCT without keeping tension on the cam chain. To avoid that problem, remove the CP3 cover, and gently wedge an object to maintain chain tension prior to removing the OEM CCT. If you can do the adjustment, then you can remove and replace the OEM CCT. I would think that any motorcycle shop would perform the work....of course a Yamaha shop is going to steer you back toward their CCT.

201 - 220 of 274 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
273 Replies
91 Participants
Lake Abilene
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
We’re the largest Yamaha forum for owners and enthusiasts of the FZ-09 and MT-09. The site has thousands of topics covering performance and reliability, photos, videos and more!
Full Forum Listing