Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

This is my first post on the forum and wanted to say hi. I just recently bought a 2015 Yamaha FZ-09. So far, I love the bike, it is a beast! I traded in my 2013 Honda 500f for the FZ-09 and the power is like night and day. However, I am still trying to get use to this power and wanted to know how to keep from sliding back on the seat when I give it throttle? Normally, I would just use my legs to hug the gas tank to keep from sliding back, but the tank is kind of narrow where my legs meet and takes a little work to hug the gas tank. Any you guys or girls have a solution on how to keep from feeling like I am getting pulled off the bike from the acceleration? Thanks

·
Registered
511 Posts
When I am about to pin it I lean forward a little to compensate for the throwback. I had a 97 Bandit 1200 that would throw me back hard at 4k and the response was twisting the throttle even more which did not help. My wife likes a supersport because you are already leaned so far forward that the response is negligible. My old bones can't handle that riding position so I lean into it. It might take a while to get used to 100 hp, I know it did for me back in 97, but this bike is a wonderful machine you just have to dial yourself in. Welcome to the forum and have fun!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
the stock seat is not the best shape for a bike with this power IMO - i experienced a similar issue though it wasn't that bad.

My 4 cents:
1. get a custom seat with a built up backing to keep your butt from sliding
2. get some tank pads - they help,
3. gradually ease on the throttle vs. punch it
4. perhaps start in B mode until you get more comfortable with the bike's power

·
Registered
208 Posts
Buy a Corbin gunfighters seat
Mine should arrive today or tomorrow!

Otherwise advice is to have a firm grip on the bars, but not be ham fisted and peg the throttle. I always have two fingers resting on top of the brake and clutch and it also makes my throttle inputs more controlled.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Too much power to start doing WOTs. Like the others said ease into it, which can still give you plenty of acceleration rush.

Welcome to the site and congratulations on your screamin machine!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Welcome to the site! I've had mine since December but have only ridden it twice so far in our frosty winter--I'll be asking You for tips in a couple weeks!

·
Registered
654 Posts
B mode is your friend for the first few days, also as already posted numerous times, the corbin gunfighter or gunfighter and lady seats solve this dilemma
4.jpg
without the backrest
WP_20150319_003.jpg
with the backrest

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have always told people if possible to learn to ride a dirt bike before a street bike, especially if wanting something with power. However, take it slow, this is a dirt bike on steroids. Fun as hell but you have to respect the power and slowly get use to it if you have not had a bike with a lot of power before. With enough time you will get comfortable. Enjoy the learn and ride safe with the right gear!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts