Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
haha yes, one guy i ride with has a harley 48 (or 46 can't remember). He has a 2.2 gallon tank so every 80 miles or so we're pulling over so he can fill up. My fuel gauge almost always still has 5 bars (full).

Then 40 miles later i'm on 2 bars going on 1 and i'm trying to find fuel. never had a fuel gauge before but i think relying on the mileage is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Yes, this happened to me just this week.

Ride to work, Park - still a full tank (many miles in, so many miles that I'm getting suspicious)

Get on bike at end of day, turn it on and I'm down a bar. Hmmm, OK... well now I'm reassured it's working.

Ride home, Park - down another whole bar. Yeesh... OK.

Get on bike the next morning, down ANOTHER bar, overnight....

Anyway, you get the picture. Had a full tank forever and then the bars just started dropping like flies and before I knew it my f-trip was on. I went from full to f-trip in about 30-40 miles.

My commute is around 7 miles.

·
Registered
957 Posts
It goes forever without showing that any fuel has been used. Once the fuel tank shows half a tank remaining, the gauge seems to start dropping at a blisteringly quick rate.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I usually lose one bar every 20-30 miles. Once I'm down to one bar I have a few miles to go until I need to fill her up.

It's pretty convenient!

·
Registered
972 Posts
The FZ-09’s fuel gauge works (as with most bikes and cars) by a float system mounted from the bottom of the tank. (think toilet stool float) The float arm can only go up so high and until some gas is used the arm is always at its full extension. When you combine that with the fact that the tank volume is much larger at the top than at the bottom you get the type of readings you are experiencing. There are other much more sophisticated (and expensive) methods but between watching your mileage using the trip meter and the bright dash low fuel warning light it is much better than a sight glass, reserve value, or nothing. My only complaint is with the size of the tank, it should have been and could easily have been designed bigger. Watch and see if future models using this engine don’t have a larger tank. I’ll give you 5 to 1 odds.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It was suggested that it's because of the shape of the tank... big up top, smaller as you get to the bottom. Seems they didn't bother to calibrate the fuel level sensor. No matter thou, I've never trusted them... not even in the car... always gone by milage.

edit: damn... beat me to it ^^^^

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
It is pretty simple float system.

I haven't bothered to try to modify it as it doesn't mean a lot to me.

When it goes to the flashing countdown it is supposed to have .7 gal left.

I have had it start flashing, pulled over to get gas within a couple of miles and put anywhere from 3.4 to 2.9 gallons in it to refill it to 1/4 above the bottom of the filler neck.

A float type gauge on a fuel tank on a motorcycle is terribly inaccurate because of the irregular size of the tank and even more because we lean the bike left and right and accelerate and decelerate hard.

Capacitive type of gauges are much more expensive and more accurate. Capacitive type gauges are what they use in aircraft.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yes stays full for a long time, then dropped like a rock. I just keep an eye on the trip meter for best reference. BTW.. Rode 157 miles last saturday w/o the f-trip coming on. Best tank of gas yet, and that included a few blasts up to the limiter.:cool:

Reactions: FZ-G

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have experienced this also. As mentioned above, I generally go by mileage instead of the gauge. I reset my trip at each fill up, and by the time I'm around 100mi or so, I start looking for a fueling station.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The FZ-09’s fuel gauge works (as with most bikes and cars) by a float system mounted from the bottom of the tank. (think toilet stool float) The float arm can only go up so high and until some gas is used the arm is always at its full extension. When you combine that with the fact that the tank volume is much larger at the top than at the bottom you get the type of readings you are experiencing. There are other much more sophisticated (and expensive) methods but between watching your mileage using the trip meter and the bright dash low fuel warning light it is much better than a sight glass, reserve value, or nothing. My only complaint is with the size of the tank, it should have been and could easily have been designed bigger. Watch and see if future models using this engine don’t have a larger tank. I’ll give you 5 to 1 odds.
Actually received a survey request from Yamaha yesterday.
Bottom line, the bike is awesome. But sucks in 3 places. The small gas tank, the seat and the on/off injection of mode A (even though I'm used to it now). Pretty sure too that the next one will have a larger tank and better seat.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Actually received a survey request from Yamaha yesterday.
Bottom line, the bike is awesome. But sucks in 3 places. The small gas tank, the seat and the on/off injection of mode A (even though I'm used to it now). Pretty sure too that the next one will have a larger tank and better seat.
Don't hold your breath. The throttle issue is mostly an emissions thing so I don't see that changing, ever. The seat and tank, maybe but also doubtful due to the redesign of the part and the production process to make those changes are expensive.

Yamaha already offers an optional seat for $300 or so. They may offer a second option (probably a rebranded aftermarket seat) at some later date.

When they update the FZ09 is 2018 or 2019 or so, then you may see a better seat and a larger tank but I doubt it will be before then.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I have experienced this also. As mentioned above, I generally go by mileage instead of the gauge. I reset my trip at each fill up, and by the time I'm around 100mi or so, I start looking for a fueling station.
I typically get 135-150 miles per tank before I need to get gas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts