Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered a new OEM bracket for my clutch side mirror and bracket, but I can get this piece apart. Does it even come off?? If so, how do? Sorry if I seem inept...it's been a long week..

20140702_174211.jpg 20140702_174217.jpg

Thanks in advance to whoever helps me...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I couldn't find anything on the service manual, but did you check if that side is reverse thread? (go to the tightening direction to loosen)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldn't find anything on the service manual, but did you check if that side is reverse thread? (go to the tightening direction to loosen)
Yea, I can't even get it to turn in either direction. It's super torqued in there. It is definitely threaded in there. I can seem to get a good grip on it with tools without hurting the finish.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Can you put back on the old bracket and use that as leverage to break it loose? If not, I would wait a little longer until someone who has swapped out their handle bar so they can chime in.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you put back on the old bracket and use that as leverage to break it loose? If not, I would wait a little longer until someone who has swapped out their handle bar so they can chime in.
yea, thats how I was originally getting it to turn. I added the old handlebar back into the bracket for leverage. Maybe this is a sign to convert to bar end mirrors. haha

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep I thought so too. But none of my ratchet sizes fit over the end of the "bolt like object"

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also have a complete set (metric and kings measure).

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
You want to take the mirror base off the clutch perch? There is a lock nut, use a 17mm open end wrench to loosen it, the mount will come right off then.

The clutch side mirror mount has normal threads, on the brake side the threads are reversed, as marked by the little grove in the lock nut, clockwise loosens that side.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, I thought you were referring to the silver part in the other picture. Yea I will try to use a wrench again. Only concern is ripping the black finish off the metal.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You want to take the mirror base off the clutch perch? There is a lock nut, use a 17mm open end wrench to loosen it, the mount will come right off then.

The clutch side mirror mount has normal threads, on the brake side the threads are reversed, as marked by the little grove in the lock nut, clockwise loosens that side.
This sounds like a correct answer. I do have a 17mm open wrench, I will give this a go. Thanks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

You were right. I was being dumb. Loosen up the middle bolt thing with 17mm wrench, then the main piece easily unscrews by hand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts