Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really excited about this Yamaha, was thinking of getting a new bike for about 5 yrs. now but just couldn't find one interesting enough. One of my pet peeves with motorcycles is the transmission and how smoothly/effortlessly or not they shift. Last 3 tests were on a Kawi Versys, a BMW800GS and a Triumph 1050 Tiger, the demo Kawi was awful, notchy shifting and I actually had to conentrate on shifting smoothly over enjoying riding experience. Hopefully for Kawi it was just the demo bike, now the BMW was really sweet, great engine IMHO and the transmission was flawless but the bike is not quite what I am looking for, the Triumph was fine but the seating for passenger was irrationally high and windscrren buffeted my head terribly. I've been leaning towards something more like Ducati Hyperstrada but a little expensive and maybe not as all around..until I read about the FZ-09.

So, how do you FZ-09 owners rate the shifting quality of your bikes? Smooth, short, snicks into gear, easy to find neutral etc. Thanks and any comments greatly appreciated...Mark

·
Registered
883 Posts
So, how do you FZ-09 owners rate the shifting quality of your bikes? Smooth, short, snicks into gear, easy to find neutral etc. Thanks and any comments greatly appreciated...Mark
Not a whole lot of motorcycles to compare, and a lot of them were demo units, but among them the FZ-09 shifting quality is, if not the best, then close enough I couldn't perceive a difference. Yamaha found a very nice balance of finding neutral and not catching neutral inadvertently. I have demo'd a number of Star motorcycles and perceived an audible 'thunk' between gears. Lighter motorcycles have been a bit more difficult to find neutral, but not really that bad. Regarding the FZ-09, I believe your comment about "smooth, short, snicks into gear, easy to find neutral" captures the experience nicely.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Very smooth shifting, best Yamaha shifter so far for me. My CBR954RR is butter smooth. The Yamaha is a close second.

·
Registered
877 Posts
It may also get better once the contact surfaces have polished themselves in after some miles.

Like mine just fine.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
@Doug... you had to go there, didn't you?

I had an issue with finding neutral when the bike was brand new (first day)... with the engine running it would slip past and into second every time. Once it got a few miles on it everything was fine. Maybe the new clutch had something to do with it... not sure. Works beautifully now. :)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I actually have a hard time going from 2nd to 3rd which is strange it's usually going from 1st to 2nd on most bikes. I only have 300 miles on mine because it won't stop snowing so it's way to early for me to comment on the transmision, but it's a Japanese bike so I'm sure it'll be fine.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, thanks for all the input and I won't do a search on 'smooth tranny' but I can imagine. It's good to hear that the FZ-09 is a smooth shifter in most cases and I would hope that those that aren't will smooth out with some miles on them. No missed shifts or false neutrals are what I hoped to hear so far so good then...I'll just have to try and find a bike at a dealer for a demo ride, since it doesn't look as though we're going to have a winter out here it may be time for a new bike. Almost to 70*F. today, geesh kinda hard to take but we'll pay with no snow melt or water for the summer...Mark

·
Registered
347 Posts
I actually have a hard time going from 2nd to 3rd which is strange it's usually going from 1st to 2nd on most bikes. I only have 300 miles on mine because it won't stop snowing so it's way to early for me to comment on the transmision, but it's a Japanese bike so I'm sure it'll be fine.
I had the exact same problem at 100-450 miles. I'm at 1000 miles now and it is absolutely butter smooth.

·
Registered
233 Posts
No issues shifting or finding neutral, but because of the twichy throttle, it prefers quick shifts or they'll be a bit "jerky". Abrupt throttle in standard mode (default) and lack of decent suspension are the two glaring flaws on an otherwise exceptional bike. Fortunately, both of those can be addressed- at a cost. But the engine is phenomenal!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for that Stuarth, I see you are in the Bay area also, would you mind sharing where you bought your bike and was the dealer good to deal with?

Yes, the bike has a few flaws but there are people/sponsors on this forum that seem to have them well sorted...Mark

·
Registered
418 Posts
Mine shifts the same as my R1, R6, and FJR. Nothing special but it shifts as smooth as most bikes out there.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Like Buttah. No false neutrals anywhere, and neutral is never a problem to find (and feel), without looking at the gear indicator. Almost 2,000 miles and not 1 missed shift. From commuting, to strafing twisties up near redline, bangs 'em off sweetly. Snick, snick snick.

If you have problems with this tranny, you need to adjust the linkage for your fit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Selecting first is greeted with a positive clunk, rolling off the throttle completely also makes for hard-ish shifts.
A quick, small reduction in power gives me the best upshifts.
A quick blip to rev-match results in very smooth downshifts.
Neutral is really easy to find, too.

Also, I really enjoy the ratios Yamaha have chosen, all you have is continuous, smooth power while accelerating through the gears...almost as though you hadn't changed gear, just been given more thrust!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I love this transmission, i love the clutch, i love the engine, i love the bike. It's mechanical, and modern and badass. There isn't a day of riding that I don't love. I didn't think a bike this wonderful could ever exist and it keeps getting better. FYI I have a whole new suspension which makes all the difference.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again for all the responses, I think now only a test ride remains. Responses from multiple bike owners such as 'threesvts' makes for good comparison and puts to rest any worries on my part, 'jasonk's' report of good ratio choice by Yamaha is a question I forgot to ask so good input there.

Zloikish, I would hope that most owners don't have to 'improve their bike' for reasons you did, I'm glad to read that everything worked out for you and that you are happy...thanks, Mark (oh, I see that your future mods include Renthal fatbars with anti-vibe bar ends, I'm sensitive to hand numbness from vibes on my 440 kitted DRZ dualsport and have tried everything with little help so as one more 'fix' I just purchased a set of Twisted Engineerings carbon graphite/composite handlebars, regrettably I have yet to install them but from ride reports on Thumpertalk I'm real excited. My arms take a real beating riding up in the Sierra's so I picked the most flexible of the 3 choices, we'll see...Mark)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts