Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe some Yamaha executive gets very, VERY bored and decides to check out this forum. Let's not keep him wanting for improvements ideas. Here's my top 3:

1. Smoother throttle response
2. ABS
3. Better headlight

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
4. Better seat with less forward slant, better padding and a more rounded edge contour
5. Larger fuel tank
6. Adjustable clutch lever

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
In no particular order:
2. Better beam throw and coverage on the headlight
3. Separate rider/pillion seat(like the07)
4. Relocated/larger horn button
5. Less squishy, more adjustable suspension
6. Better integrated taillight(like the 07)
7. Analog tach/ digital for speedo, fuel gauge, engine temp, odometers
8. Thicker, more scratch resistant Blurple wheel paint
9. 1 gallon larger fuel tank

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
4. Better seat with less forward slant, better padding and a more rounded edge contour
5. Larger fuel tank
6. Adjustable clutch lever
The clutch lever is already adjustable.

Reactions: Rc racer

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Maybe some Yamaha executive gets very, VERY bored and decides to check out this forum. Let's not keep him wanting for improvements ideas. Here's my top 3:

2. ABS
3. Better headlight
These things cost money...how much are you willing to pay for a new FZ-09?

Reactions: fz9-tx-guy

·
Registered
768 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
My MT-09 already has ABS so my only complaints are:

1. Throttle respons (rumours going around there is a new 2015 mapping coming soon)
2. Better suspension

·
Registered
768 Posts
1.) Real forks (dampening in both)
2.) better horn button placement
3.) another gallon of fuel capacity
4.) Offer one in red with gold wheels ;-)
5.) Flatter, less forwardly-sloped seat.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Um....The clutch cable slack is adjustable at the lever.
The lever itself (for reach) isn't.
Which effectively allows you to shorten the "stroke" of the clutch lever and bring it closer to the grip.

Reactions: Rc racer

·
Registered
768 Posts
Which effectively allows you to shorten the "stroke" of the clutch lever and bring it closer to the grip.
Adjustable lever:
Footwear Auto part Shoe

Non adjustable lever.
Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Auto part

If the bottom one was meant to be adjustable for reach, why the expense (or even existence) of the 1st one? Convenience? Possibly. But, the cable adjustment is for actuation. Too much slack (for closer reach) and some clutches might not disengage properly. Too little (adjusted for big hands?) and the plates can fail to engage fully and cause premature clutch wear.

Reactions: CD599

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think if we all knew how great the bike would be we might have shelled out a few extra bucks. That being said I think the " Daddy I have to pee " fuel range is my biggest gripe. The seat seemed great at first but now I feel like I'm sitting on a 2x6 on longer rides. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Place the oil drain plug at the back side of the pan instead of the bottom. It would be less prone to damage there.
I think you hit on a #1!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
#ONE > More bike for less money. (yeah right)
#TWO > More bike for less money. (yeah right)
#THREE > More bike for less money. (yeah right)

Enjoying the bike immensely!!! :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Adjustable lever:
View attachment 8426

Non adjustable lever.
View attachment 8427

If the bottom one was meant to be adjustable for reach, why the expense (or even existence) of the 1st one? Convenience? Possibly. But, the cable adjustment is for actuation. Too much slack (for closer reach) and some clutches might not disengage properly. Too little (adjusted for big hands?) and the plates can fail to engage fully and cause premature clutch wear.
I understand adjustable clutch levers...I've got them on several of my bikes, including the FZ. I'm just saying that the OEM lever can be adjusted properly and give you some range of adjustment....it would work if someone doesn't want to spend the money on a set of adjustable levers.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Offer an "R" version with upgraded suspension, brakes & smoother ECU. I would've paid the extra money for a FZ-09R.
I'll sell you mine for $12k. LOL :p

#1) Proper throttle/timing maps
#2) Better seat

Those two things shouldn't impact the price point. As for suspension, I rarely leave any bike stock so for me that doesn't matter. Even an R version unless it could be delivered with springs and valving custom set for me, then I won't pay extra for it since I'll just have to re-spring and possibly valve it anyway.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
The biggest gripe I had with the FZ09 was the horrible suspension....but I knew that before I bought one and planned on upgrading it after I got the bike.

Number two was the little black thing they call a seat...again, horrible.

If the bike's handling is bad, and you can't sit on it more than 20-30 miles without hurting, those two items have to be addressed in my opinion. Fortunately, both upgrades together were a lot cheaper than trying to deal with a wimpy motor.

Reactions: Da Braddah

·
Registered
62 Posts
compared to any sportbike, the seat on the FZ is super comfortable. No complaints there. Also, for aggressive riding, the seat holds you in place. I seem to be the only one happy with the seat lol, aside from it being one piece. In my opinion, the brakes are also pretty good when compared to my 09 r6 and previous 1000rr, not sure what the complaint is about them. But, I wouldn't mind paying $500-1000 more or so for the following:

1) Suspension
2) Tail more similar to FZ07

Why the complaints about the gas tank? I get about 125 miles to a tank before my fuel indicator starts blinking, which is exactly what I used to get on my 1000rr, only it costs me $10.50ish on this bike, while my 1000rr was 12-14.00. Consistently getting 44-48mpg around town with spirited acceleration

Reactions: jasonk
1 - 20 of 67 Posts