Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

How Much Louder is the Akra Carbon with db Killer Than the Stock Exhaust?

22K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  1duckyboy 
#1 · (Edited)
I said all along I wasn't going to change the exhaust on the FZ but because I like quiet bikes. Now second thoughts are starting to creep in. The db killer only loses 2-3 horsepower and losing 8 - 9 lbs. would be nice plus I want to hear the triple wail. So, at below 6k rpm, how much louder is the carbon Akra with db killer than stock? Above 6K rpm I don't care because that's only for short periods and usually no one else is around. Informed subjective and objective replies appreciated.

#2 ·
I have the carbon akra exhaust but I removed the db killer before I even installed it. It is quite loud for sure. The noise it makes is somewhat addictive, it sounds like a race bike. I would say it's at least twice as loud as stock.

#3 ·
If you want a little more noise...the AKRA CARBON is a mistake. That system is really loud both with the baffle and without. AKRA TITANIUM is a bit louder than stock with the baffle and with the cat converter installed. And you won't need a fuel controller if you run it that way. The Arrow and the Yoshimura systems are a bit louder than the Akra Titanium...but you WILL need a fuel controller with those.

Reactions: 1duckyboy
#5 ·
I have the Akra carbon and don't consider it overly loud at all. I don't feel the need for earplugs and it gives a beautiful, lower frequency rumble and slight sputter w/ the stock ECU. Highly recommended!

Reactions: 204rider
#8 ·
I believe the stock was around 88 dBs at 5K RPM??

I measured the sound with a meter when I installed my Akra Carbon.

5ft away at idle
with dB killer - 91dB
w/out dB killer - 99dB

For general sake...I might tack on 5 dBs on each for 5K RPM...

#9 ·
Three dB difference at 5k with the dB killer isn't much difference.

#11 ·
I work 2nd shift so when I get to my road I run a higher gear and lower rpms so I don't piss off my neighbors to much. Its easy to just chug it along with all the torque. But having the extra noise going home at night I hardly see any deer or there usually heading for the woods. When I drive the suv home I almost always see deer and have hit raccoons that I don't think I could have avoided on my bike!

#14 ·
The Akrapovic is a full exhaust system including headers and has no catalytic converter so a tune should be done regardless if you run with or without the baffle. If you don't get tuned the engine will constantly pop and backfire extremely loudly alerting the po-po to your whereabouts. The blue flames only happen if you have backfiring.

#16 ·
I will partially agree with that.. At low rpms it's quite civilized, but when you get into it hard, and without the baffle it's fairly obnoxious. I love it personally, it completely transformed my bike into Jekyll & Heide, the best mod so far bar none :evil6:

Reactions: 204rider
#18 ·
No data sorry, the tune was a flash based on other 09's that had the same Akra exhaust as me. Nels assured me I would get 125+ hp with my setup and it feels like it. I've gotten much better at cornering since the tune because the bike is more predictable and less snappy in gears 1 & 2.

#20 · (Edited)
I would be nice plus I want to hear the triple wail. So, at below 6k rpm, how much louder is the carbon Akra with db killer than stock? Above 6K rpm I don't care because that's only for short periods and usually no one else is around.
I love the sound of the Akra with the baffle in, I have no need to remove it. As people said, it starts off relatively quiet (low rumbling sound), and then screams like a racing bike when you twist it.

I have no idea how you manage to ride under 6k most of the time. After reading this post of yours, I started looking at my rev meter during my ride to and from work and I'm over 6K for 90% of the time. It just sounds so sweet, that you don't want to release the throttle :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.