Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regardless of practicality, functionality, and sanity, how much is really known about our "new" powerplant? Being a newly designed motor, I assume it would not share any internals with other yamahas. Has anyone cracked one open yet? Some hi-comp pistons and a cam would be alluring.

How about the EFI system? Does anyone know if it uses the same injectors as another bike? What kind? How much flow at what pressure?

These things would be handy to know for perhaps maybe a turbo system :eagerness:

I'd like to build this thing into a litre bike killer but technical data like this is holding me back.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Why not just build a liter bike that is a tried and trued workhorse. You may be barking up the wrong tree with this bike. I can assure you that this motor is not overbuilt like some of the inline 4's of years gone by. This is an economically built bike, motor included.

·
Registered
220 Posts
A litre bike killer? At the race track, drag strip? 0-100? Honestly, this bike will NEVER be a litre bike killer. My bike makes 123.xx whp and with the seating position and gearing being what it is, it has WAY more power than concievably usable. That being said, I too and looking to make some more power. I think once I get the Guhl tune and get the timing unlocked in all gears, a new dyno tune could produce 130whp on pump, and upwards of 138-140 whp on MR12 race gas...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Why not just build a liter bike that is a tried and trued workhorse. You may be barking up the wrong tree with this bike. I can assure you that this motor is not overbuilt like some of the inline 4's of years gone by. This is an economically built bike, motor included.
Sv650 turbo.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motorcycle fairing
Just because a bike is built economically, doesn't mean it can't make lots'O powah!

P.S. his bike lasted quite a while until he got into an accident with it.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
A litre bike killer? At the race track, drag strip? 0-100? Honestly, this bike will NEVER be a litre bike killer. My bike makes 123.xx whp and with the seating position and gearing being what it is, it has WAY more power than concievably usable. That being said, I too and looking to make some more power. I think once I get the Guhl tune and get the timing unlocked in all gears, a new dyno tune could produce 130whp on pump, and upwards of 138-140 whp on MR12 race gas...
You're using a pretty fast dyno Mate. I need to ride up there and try it out. 130 WHP is about 145-150 HP at the crank... Seems a lot for an exhaust, tune and few other wiggles. Good for you.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Sv650 turbo.
View attachment 9566
Just because a bike is built economically, doesn't mean it can't make lots'O powah!

P.S. his bike lasted quite a while until he got into an accident with it.
The SV twin was released in 1999,and it was not released extracting all of the power out of its engine design. The FZ has short skirt pistons, marginal if not cheap clutch design, and lightweight transmission components. Go ahead and prove me wrong.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
The SV twin was released in 1999,and it was not released extracting all of the power out of its engine design. The FZ has short skirt pistons, marginal if not cheap clutch design, and lightweight transmission components. Go ahead and prove me wrong.
59 mm of stroke is quite lot in high performance machine today too. On max RPM chart the 09 is about already max out. I won't spin that thing any faster without putting some good hardware in there. CR ratio int he 11's... quite low too. At a bare minimum getting any more power out of that thing will require piston/connecting rod at the least IMO.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
59 mm of stroke is quite lot in high performance machine today too. On max RPM chart the 09 is about already max out. I won't spin that thing any faster without putting some good hardware in there. CR ratio int he 11's... quite low too. At a bare minimum getting any more power out of that thing will require piston/connecting rod at the least IMO.
Thank you both. This is the type of information I was curious about. I guess until there are better internals available, it would just be an expensive way to blow up an engine!

As for why I'd choose the 09 for this platform...

For one, no one to my knowledge has done it yet. Someone has to be the guinea pig. Also, even though boosted litre bikes aren't exactly common, it's still what would be expected to be turboed. I like doing things that are "different" even if they are somewhat impractical. I took my 1987 Fiero, rebuilt the old 2.8 V6 and designed/built my own intercooled turbo system. It makes about 215 to the wheels and runs low 14's. I could have spent HALF the money and done an engine swap and had a faster car, but that's not what it's about for me. I want something unique that makes people :confused:

·
Registered
64 Posts

i ran a r1, couldnt keep the front wheel on the ground...nor could he from a 40 roll. needless to say he rolled me without a tune and even with a tune he would have rolled me lol. what dyno are you making 123 whp on? my bike tuned from guhl made 112.xx with a pipe. was really hoping to to bust 120, not even sure it would do that on race gas. the bike rips now though with the tune.

·
Registered
64 Posts
bumped my rev limit 500 and i think thats all i would be going. it wasnt built to be revved like a inline with the big stroke. take the bike for what it is do a pipe and tune and rip it. plenty good 0-100 bike as i think it holds its own pretty well if you can ride it. plus have you ever riden anything that makes you smile so much when you hit the rev limiter while clicking gears?

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
343 Posts
Would you mind posting a sound clip of your bike on the exhaust thread? The website for yoshi only has race model and no sound.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would not mind taking a close look at the cylinder head myself. I've flow tested and ported many four and six cylinder engines from Japan (cars)and I know bike heads are usually very good from the factory, but I am curious non the less.

Off the bat I would say compression ratio is the easiest way to give a big bump to power across the rev range. That should net a bigger gain than any bolt on for sure! Moving from 11 to 12.5 should do it!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would not mind taking a close look at the cylinder head myself. I've flow tested and ported many four and six cylinder engines from Japan (cars)and I know bike heads are usually very good from the factory, but I am curious non the less.

Off the bat I would say compression ratio is the easiest way to give a big bump to power across the rev range. That should net a bigger gain than any bolt on for sure! Moving from 11 to 12.5 should do it!
I would love to build this motor, atleast some compression and some cams atleast. Really wanna try some mr12 but it's salty and impractical but I almost wanna try some to see what it does for power.

Sent from my torque wrench.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Would you mind posting a sound clip of your bike on the exhaust thread? The website for yoshi only has race model and no sound.
They only off a race model if I recall. But I'll try n get some videos

·
Registered
539 Posts
Ok, simple, the Sv was never truly meant to be a "650". It started out as an Sv400... The motor has the same bottom end as the 400, they essentially just strapped on some 325cc cylinders and called it good. Without modifying the bottom end, there isn't a substantial amount of power to be squeezed out of the motor. That's why the majority of sv650 owners say screw a full system exhaust, get a slip-on and then spend the rest of the money saved on better suspension.

Anything is possible gooch. (with enough money)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I shot a quick message to a guy on ig who does the icon drifting and he said around 3500 for a custom turbo kit but I didn't go much into detail so I'm not exactly sure what that 3500 would get but I could see the thin making some great power with a turbo but as stated how is the rest of the motor gonna hold an additional 50-60+ whp. And who is gonna stop at low boost lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
I shot a quick message to a guy on ig who does the icon drifting and he said around 3500 for a custom turbo kit but I didn't go much into detail so I'm not exactly sure what that 3500 would get but I could see the thin making some great power with a turbo but as stated how is the rest of the motor gonna hold an additional 50-60+ whp. And who is gonna stop at low boost lol

I'd love a turbo. I would stop at a low boost with stock rods and pistons. :color: :cool: :color:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd hate to spend the time and money building a system and then run out of fueling...does anyone think the stock fuel injectors can be pushed enough for mild boost?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I'd hate to spend the time and money building a system and then run out of fueling...does anyone think the stock fuel injectors can be pushed enough for mild boost?
I would have to double check. I think with exhaust we push close to 60% duty cycle. There's some room but not much. I will check my data tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts