Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did it on the way home from the dealer in October. It was at about 10 mph. Minor damage. But there seems to be a lot of drops for such a new bike.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Are you trying to jinx us? I have never dropped a bike in 43 years of riding. I have crashed a couple of times in my youth over riding them. I can't over ride them anymore. You guys are making me superstitious.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you trying to jinx us? I have never dropped a bike in 43 years of riding. I have crashed a couple of times in my youth over riding them. I can't over ride them anymore. You guys are making me superstitious.
My previous last crash was on a Yamaha 80 on a farm in Stevens Point Wisconsin in 1968. On the FZ I wasn't over riding. I was trying to get my brand spanking new bike home. I personally blame the Dunlop D214's which seemed as slick as walrus shit on an iceberg. Which explains why I'm putting on Michelin PP3's when the warm weather comes.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I know you know this but any new tire treat as bowling balls for the first 100 miles, scrub em in. Sometimes we get too excited and want to feel the power of the new toy. I always have to tell myself "cold tires" for the first part of any ride. It even catches out the pros like Rossi and Lorenzo....

·
Registered
554 Posts
I haven't dropped mine yet but I did leave it parked in the garage today. It's my wife's bDay and sixteen years ago today I had a pretty epic freeway crash on my vfr 750. Superstition got the best of me this morning so I took my truck instead. Tomorrow I ride!

Only times I've low sided were on the dirt track. Haven't had the misfortune of a high side get off. Hope I never do!

Daniel

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
well the last time i low sided was last week and it was the first time but i only have about 5k miles on the road and i have no idea how much on the dirt but its only a few seasons worth. My altercation with the pavement was due to me loosing the cool head that you need on a motorcycle and used too much throttle when i should have been going a lot slower. I think my thought process was...lets do a wheelie! But i didn't give it enough power so i gave it more. I wheelied just in time to break and i had cold tires. Anyways count me in, i low sided.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Well, the tires will be greasy until you wear off the coating, say 200 miles and a bunch of corners. I am with you guys. I will put Michelin Pilot Road 3's on as soon as I wear out the front tire. I have them on my CBR and they heat up instantly. Beware, they are a sport tour tire, though, and are harder than a sport tire in the center.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the tires will be greasy until you wear off the coating, say 200 miles and a bunch of corners. I am with you guys. I will put Michelin Pilot Road 3's on as soon as I wear out the front tire. I have them on my CBR and they heat up instantly. Beware, they are a sport tour tire, though, and are harder than a sport tire in the center.
I've got the Pilot Road 3's on my FJR. They are the great tire. But I'm putting the Pilot Power 3's on the FZ.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I crack wheelies constantly, which eats up the center of the tire, and I take road trips to races several times a year, thus the sport tour tires. A little sliding in the corners does not bother me.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The dunlops feel a little loose to me even after a few hundred miles. I will be putting on Conti Road Attack 2's after the dunlops are used up.The RA2's have a special compound that makes them sticky right from the get go. They call it a Traction Skin. I have them on my SV. I have noticed slipping in the corners with the dunlops but I have never been down on a street bike (knock on wood) Dirt bike is another story

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but in comparison the PR3's are going to be better for lots of miles, and the PP3's are better for more grip specifically in the center? Are both good in the rain? Thanks

-z

·
Banned
161 Posts
...there seems to be a lot of drops for such a new bike.
This is only because a bunch of squids are buying it...which is unfortunate.

Reactions: Tunnelvision748

·
Banned
161 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but in comparison the PR3's are going to be better for lots of miles, and the PP3's are better for more grip specifically in the center? Are both good in the rain? Thanks

-z
Both great tires, you should be able to get 1.5 x's the miles out of the PR3 (or the PR2) than any "normal" $120-ish tire. I dont really know the advantage a PP3 has over a PR3...quicker heat up??
Dont let the "touring" implications of the PR3 turn you off from it, when I had a PR2 it stuck just as well as a Pilot power in the corners and I got about 4500 miles out of the rear...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
This is only because a bunch of squids are buying it...which is unfortunate.
I may be a squid after a fashion, but I think more experienced riders are buying this bike than squids. Most of the members of this forum are riders with decades of experience. Granted they aren't low siding it...that they admit.

Having said that, you gotta start somewhere and this bike has a lot of attraction to it. If you never went over in a bike i applaud you, but I've only found a few riders who haven't.

Both great tires, you should be able to get 1.5 x's the miles out of the PR3 (or the PR2) than any "normal" $120-ish tire. I dont really know the advantage a PP3 has over a PR3...quicker heat up??
Dont let the "touring" implications of the PR3 turn you off from it, when I had a PR2 it stuck just as well as a Pilot power in the corners and I got about 4500 miles out of the rear...
Thanks! that helps a lot. I'm thinking the PR3's will be my next tire when i wear out the Dunlops. I need something that can do the corners, and can go a lot of miles since i commute every day about 40 miles round trip. I love the look of the sypes(sipes?) on the PR3s, just in case i run into some rain since San Diego is dry most of the time but the mountains aren't.

-z

·
Banned
161 Posts
I may be a squid after a fashion, but I think more experienced riders are buying this bike than squids.

Having said that, you gotta start somewhere and this bike has a lot of attraction to it.
That's because there's more experienced riders than squids. Tons of squids are buying this bike....they think because its 8 grand brand new it's somehow not too much motorcycle for them (it is).

If you never went over "in a bike"....then you're slow.

·
Banned
161 Posts
And if you buy tires based on the aesthetics of their tread, you need to get out of motorsports.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
None of the big tire makers put any "coating" on the tire anymore. They started a new mold process a few years ago. These guys are crashing because the asphalt is too cold to get heat in the tire.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got the Bridgestones stock on my bike. I have been lucky to have never crashed while riding a bike, but I have dropped my ZX-6R a couple times from standstill... while working on the bike. :mad:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts